Problem with Shimadzu's GCSolution softawe

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi! I just started to use a new Shimadzu instrument and installed the software on my office computer in order to avoid the horrible paper reports. However when I click on the "Postrun" section nothing happens and I cannot open the GC data =(. I have Admin rights so I don't have any idea of what's wrong with it. Please help!

Edit: GCsolutions v2,30 SU6, running WinXP Pro.

GJMS

I think I've seen this problem before.
Because you're not on a live system, you have to configure an instrument in Real Time Analysis. I don't really know why, but it may be that with a fresh install, you don't have any configuration file, and Postrun can't run without it.

Check the installation cd again. theres another program your suppose to install before installing the GCsolution software. I cant recall what its called need to check at our lab computer wat that software was.

Tarapan wrote:
Check the installation cd again. theres another program your suppose to install before installing the GCsolution software. I cant recall what its called need to check at our lab computer wat that software was.
I know... its the DOA install. I did it from the start and it didn't work.

Also I tried to copy-paste all the program files from our GC in order to check for what mcgyver is talking about but wasn't succesful. I'll try to look somewhere else in the docs & settings perhaps. But this is slowly irritanting me -_-

Forget my suggestion - it doesn't work as you've probably found out.

Postrun doesn't work unless you're on a live system. To enable Postrun without a GC attached, you need to buy a GCsolution secondary licence. Contact your local Shimadzu office.
Finally a colleage was able to put this software to work offline. It so happens that you have to hold a holy ritual in order to enable the postrun:

1. Open the Analysis window and configure the GC (column, detector, etc.)
2. Keeping the Analysis window open, open the Offline editor.
3. Keeping both the analysis and offline editor windows open, open the Postrun.

Voilà! Profit!
Hello everyone! I thought to add my question in this post instead of creating a new one.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to GC Solutions - have worked mainly with Empower in the past. What I don't quite understand is integrating peaks with GC Solutions. Everytime I make a change in the integration, I have to save the method, start from the beginning, and load the method to each individual run. It's extremely tedious but it doesn't seem like anyone else is aware of any other way to work with the software.

Now with Empower, you can change the integration in the processing method, and all the other runs will reflect that change. All that's left to do is review the data in the sample set, perhaps make a few minor changes, and process.

GC Solutions: Save, click on run, load method, save method, click on next run, load method again, save method again, click on next run, etc. Then when you review your runs, you find you need to make a minor change somwhere... do it all over again.

There has to be a better way. What am I missing here??

We have LC solutions from Shimadzu and here it works as follows. open a chromatogram, modify the method as you want save the method and then reproces the whole batch with the modified method.
I have solved the problem by copying the gc config files (system/gcsystemconfigx.cfg) from the computer connected to the GC to the (offline) workstations in the same directory (gcsolutions/system) and overwriting the original. open the real time once and close again. afterwards postrun was working.
The suggestion of darkanessangel worked very well. Tks :D
menno wrote:
I have solved the problem by copying the gc config files (system/gcsystemconfigx.cfg) from the computer connected to the GC to the (offline) workstations in the same directory (gcsolutions/system) and overwriting the original. open the real time once and close again. afterwards postrun was working.

I solve the problem in the same way. It's working perfectly. Now I'm using the auto-copy function of the on-line workstation (located in the lab) to copy the datafiles onto a secured server and I'm processing it on my own computer (in my office).
Hi AngelicaV,

You don't have to do such a tedious job of integrating each and every data file and saving to method file.

Instead integrate any one data file from a batch and save those integration parameters to the same original method with which you have acquired the data.

Open the Batch in Postrun and reprocess the whole batch and your data gets processed with the integration parameters you have saved to the method file.

Thats it!!!

AngelicaV wrote:
Hello everyone! I thought to add my question in this post instead of creating a new one.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to GC Solutions - have worked mainly with Empower in the past. What I don't quite understand is integrating peaks with GC Solutions. Everytime I make a change in the integration, I have to save the method, start from the beginning, and load the method to each individual run. It's extremely tedious but it doesn't seem like anyone else is aware of any other way to work with the software.

Now with Empower, you can change the integration in the processing method, and all the other runs will reflect that change. All that's left to do is review the data in the sample set, perhaps make a few minor changes, and process.

GC Solutions: Save, click on run, load method, save method, click on next run, load method again, save method again, click on next run, etc. Then when you review your runs, you find you need to make a minor change somwhere... do it all over again.

There has to be a better way. What am I missing here??
Can you please send me that file? I have same problem.
Email Id-rakeshkathlewar@gmail.com
GCSolution data files can be read and reprocessed for free
with our UniChrom both for Windows and Linux
http://www.unichrom.com/dle.php

Data formats supported
http://www.unichrom.com/chrom/uc-ffe.shtml

GC2010 and GC2014 instrument control can be tested in demo-mode.
14 posts Page 1 of 1