Custom field or report method- best way around this?

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a Custom field that returns a percent impurity by multiplying area by RRF. My answer needs to be in the range of 0.5 to 1.0%. I created a Boolean CF along the lines of GTE(Percent_Imp, CConst3)+LT(Percent_Imp,CConst4) (Peak, Real, Calculated) and plugged my upper and lower ranges into CConst3,4 but I get nothing back, I cant get my head around what I'm doing wrong. If Empower allowed the formula when I created it, surely its valid/possible?

Then I thought my report method would work, cant I just throw my CF into the table and apply a Min/Max to this? Or I could even apply a Limit to this CF in the proc method which would fault the value outside of the range. I'm still curious as to why the Boolean wouldn't work, I checked the CConst3/4- they are populated, I have the value set to Use as Text and don't have all or nothing ticked.

Thoughts?
Anyone?

If a custom field allowed a formula like GTE(CF, CConst1)+LTE(CF, CConst2) why am I getting a blank cell? Should it be a result field I have it to Peak?
Hello EmpowersBane!

On the face of it, your CF should almost work... 8)
However, I am thinking there could be a problem with the field translation.

Either:
you have written your formula as
GTE(Percent_Imp, CConst3)+LT(Percent_Imp,CConst4)
where your peak field for Percent_Imp is likely to be >= CConst3 and < CConst4...
as your formula has a "+" this will calculate a value of 2, and with a Boolean field the value of 2 has not been translated and the field is blank. You can correct this by using the operator "&" instead of "+" :
GTE(Percent_Imp, CConst3) & LT(Percent_Imp,CConst4)

or
If you have already used the & operator, have you set text translations for the values?

Hope this helps,
Empower
MVC - Medicon Valley Consult
www.mvc-consult.com
Hi BenW,

That was it! I was looking at it over and over again wondering was there some small thing not correct. I even thought my "Use as Text" was causing the problem. I never thought to consider that my "+" was the problem. I use it a lot in custom fields and naturally associated it with "and".

I changed it to &, and it worked perfectly. Thanks a million BenW, much appreciated.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 599 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Latest Blog Posts from Separation Science

Separation Science offers free learning from the experts covering methods, applications, webinars, eSeminars, videos, tutorials for users of liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, sample preparation and related analytical techniques.

Subscribe to our eNewsletter with daily, weekly or monthly updates: Food, Environmental, (Bio)Pharmaceutical, Bioclinical, Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry.

Liquid Chromatography

Gas Chromatography

Mass Spectrometry