ChemStation question

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
ChemStation software question: (1) anybody know a way to automatically print a ChemStation Sequence Summary Report in a smaller font? (2) anybody know a way to automatically print the chromatograms window (in Data Analysis) to a smaller size. I hate having to constantly run out to use a photocopier to make smaller copies that I can paste into my notebook, and it wastes paper as well. Yes, I know for (2) that I can copy to clipboard, then put into Word, but that oftentimes looks different, especially when annotations are used. And for (1), one cannot simply "select all" then paste into Word as the columns don't line up (Notepad characters are all the same width), and doing a screen capture is a hassle.

Hi, You may install a PDF converter in your PC. The PC can treat it as a printer. Then you set it as the defalt printer. So your reports will be generated as Pdf file. Now you use a real printer. In the page handling section of the printer, you can set 2 pages per sheet or even smaller.
Good luck.

PromoChrom
www.promochrom.com

promochrom - I'm afraid I need more information, more specifics, I'm better on chromatography than computers. Can you recommend a specific program, and I'd like to know if you've actually used this successfully with ChemStation, or it's just your educated opinion. Thanks.

All I can do at the moment is use the Set Page Margins in ChemStation Data Analysis, but those changes cannot be saved or made default. And for Sequence Summary Reports, I can open the files in Notepad and Format Font to a smaller number, then print. My printers can only option to 1 per page or 2 per page, etc., doesn't have an option of (for example) to fit to 75% of page.

You can buy PDF converters in an office supply store. You can also look at PDF995 as freeware (or low priced "buy" ware.) This you can find on the web. I use PDF995 for a lot of the documents I send out but I have never tried it as the Chemstation printer so that is an interesting twist on matters. If I get a chance to try it out, I will forward a note.

Best regards.

Yes. PDF 995 works very well for the ChemStation, You can try variety of things using other free PDF softwares. You can also try Dowloading PDF factory, which can print a number of pages on one single page.
Please let me know if you require more information on the same.

regards,
Happy new year in advance

To change the size of the chromatogram in the report, go to Report, Specify Report, and in the lower right corner you can control width (Time) and height (Response). Is this what you wanted? You can also modify the report template, but this is non-intuitive if you haven't used it.

There is little or no control of the sequence reports, so I rarely use them. Are you working in GC, LC, or GC-MS. I can send you an excel macro that will transfer data to excel automatically (GC or LC only). You can also try printing out Batch Reports, which load in excel pretty well. Or, you might be able to trick the system by printing out a "Control Chart" which has the info you want.

May also depend on CS version.
Merlin K. L. Bicking, Ph.D.
ACCTA, Inc.

mbicking - no, that's just for the chromatograms printing in the automated Report. I was asking about just printing the chromatograms.

Hi, i think an other option if you use the "File" mode of the printing destination. This works for the individual chromatograms, and the sequence summary as well. Choose the .txt and .wmf (the newer ChemStation use .emf) and you will find the txt-report and the wmf-chromatogram in the data file directory. At the Sequence summary can chose .htm or the .txt format. Then you can handle the created files as you like.
These file reporting options also work in BAtch reprocessing mode.
I can confirm the info of AICMM about the PDF995. It's working perfectly with the ChemS ver B.03.01.
Best
8 posts Page 1 of 1