I'm interested in comparing notes with other labs implementing a new LIMS system. TCSC is in the process of creating the worksheets and setting up our FLIMS database with hopes of going live in April.

I'm trying to automate info entry at the bench level with tablet pc's or laptops but it appears to present sample cross-contamination issues as well as cluttering up already cramped lab bench space.

While opening forensic drug cases we would only need to record minimal information (descriptions, weights, etc) at the bench level. Most of the other work of integration and intrepretation of analyses (GCMS, TLC, etc) can be done at the chemists desk pc's. I'm thinking that tablet pc's at the bench may be frivilous and unnecessary.

I'd like to avoid as much hard copy worksheets in the lab as possible and I'm wondering how other labs have handled the situation.

After investigating a lot of hardware possibilities and found them wanting for various reasons, it appears that we could still use a modified hard copy worksheet at the bench and then immediately scan it into the FLIMS system.

If I can scan text easily using MS OneNote for my personal work, I would think there are capabilities of using OCR to transfer data from a scanned worksheet image into the database fields of the FLIMS system.

Does anyone have ideas on this subject.

Thanks,
Pardes