HP 3392A Integrator Questions

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
So in my quest to set up the cheapest GC ever I have come to the realization that I should just get an old Integrator. Is anyone familiar with the model 3392A integrator? Is it going to be impossible to get ink/paper for this thing? Can I calibrate it so that it will print out the ppm right on the Chromatogram? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It uses 4.5" thermal paper - with multiple Agilent catalogue numbers, but the most common was 5080-8800, and you will find plenty of suppliers, as other toys ( the HP85 computer ? ) also used it.

Obviously, no ink is required. But two things to watch for. The print heads die, usually one of the segments. That's OK if it's part of the text, but hopeless if it's the chromatogram.

The second is that the rubber on the print head belt, and feet, turns to goo after some time ( ten - twenty years ), and then there are no teeth, as they have remainly on the drive sprocket - whith spins happily. I have used a long serrated edge cable tie as belt, but it's not agood option...

The difficulty will be getting any hardware spares - such as the printhead, but the optional battery packs can easily be rebuilt by any of the firms offering power tool battery rebuilds.

The family were offen referred to as HP339X, so a search on that or 3390 should help locate suppliers.

However, the problem may be that you can't easily reprocess data with these integrators, so you may need to push the output to a computer with a software package for reintegration, which rather defeats the purpose..

I think they are ideal for simple, routine uses, but once you want to do anything adventurous with the data, the 3392 will soon be very frustrating....

Please keep having fun,

Bruce Hamilton

I aggree with Bruce, you may become very frustrated using an integrator. It is possible that you may save money in the long term by using a PC package in terms of spares, paper costs and having to re-run samples. I have used integrators from several suppliers and found that moving to a PC system was like a breath of fresh air, even if it was just Chemstation.

(you may stop "having fun" if you use an integrator.)

GCguy
GCguy

Vox - if you really want to go the integrator route, I could donate a 3392A or a 3396A to you. You'd have to pay shipping. We're never going to use an integrator here again, and we'd be throwing this out soon anyway. These were operational when taken out of service. I'd include manuals, whatever paper and print cartidges we have, etc. The 3396 uses full-size paper, while the 3392A uses the smaller rolls. I do have a box of the smaller rolls of paper but it's holding up something, so I'd have to find a new box to take its place. Post back with your E-mail address if you're interested. I also have a 3388A integrator available as well, but don't think its cartridge tape reader still works, so you'd definitely want o put that on a UPS power box.

That would be fantastic! I would greatly appreciate it. My Email is Ross at storagecontrol dot com. I would prefer the 3396A. I'll gladly pay you shipping + a handling charge.

Vox/Ross: I'll have someone from my company contact you Friday or Monday.

While I commend GPC's generosity, I can't help wondering if the recipient is in a position of explaining a delay in results...

"I can't generate numbers yet because the integrator paper I need is in a box that it (literally) holding up another piece of lab equipment and can't be disturbed until a replacement box has been installed..."

It's funny to anyone who has been there.
Thanks,
DR
7 posts Page 1 of 1