Oracle error (Waters Empower)

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everybody! I'm new here and I need some advice about an error I get when I try to log in the Waters Empower. The message that appears is as follows:

Database connection failed!!
Attempted connection to:
Service: Local
Oracle Error: -1
ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated
Disconnection forced

The computer shutdown because of a blackout so that may be the cause of this trouble, but, can anyone help me to solve it?

Guesses:
1) your Empower server is still down as a result of the power failure
2) there's a network switch somewhere between you & the server that is still down as a result of the power failure
3) You're running via a Citrix server and it is still down as a result of the power failure

If your Empower server is in your building, I'd go have a look at it. If it is not in your building and you are using a Citrix server I'd call the Citrix admin. and have the server looked at. Otherwise I'd make some calls to the Empower admin. and have the Empower server checked.
Thanks,
DR

I have seen this error before when an analyst had logged onto Empower and left the connection on overnight. At some point during the night there was a disruption to the power and the connection to the database was terminated. When the analyst tried to log on in the morning he could not connect to the database and an Oracle error -1 appeared. In our case the problem was solved by simply rebooting the computer that the analyst was using and database connection was reestablished.

If this doesn't fix your problem, then you most likely have a problem with your server and you should follow the advice of DR and either check it out yourself or have somebody look at it for you. If the problem still exisits then I would contact Waters.
Just looking through the posts on Empower, I'm struck by the sheer number of them! :shock:

We have a problem with our Empower 2 installation. It just quits controlling our Alliances, sometimes there's "Instrument Failure" in the message centre, sometimes there's nothing. :?:

I have anecdotal information of a compatibility issue between Windows (XP sp2) and the Oracle 10 db in Empower 2. :x

Anyone out there with similar issues, or better still, resolutions to this problem? :idea:
Mike A
4 posts Page 1 of 1