Software questions.... [June 1, 2004]

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
]By Anonymous on Tuesday, June 1, 2004 - 09:45 am:

Hi, I'm currently looking to upgrade our lab's ChemStation software. I'm just curious as to what versions people in here use. The Agilent website has the new version (6, I believe), but I was wondering what my fellow chemists in here were using, or what you would recommend.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 08:28 am:

We use A.09 for our pharmaceutical systems because they require ChemStor electronic security (thanks, feds). For non-pharmaceutical we still have one system A.03 on Win3.11, some A.06 (Y2K) on Win95, one A.07, and a non-pharmaceutical on A.09.03. For GCMS, we have 1034C on Win3.11 as well as newer. Each version has certain plusses and minuses. But if you can run one, you can run them all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Bernd Mischke on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:33 am:

The newest version is 10.01 or similar, datafiles are NOT compatible with older versions.
If You have running a GPIB (HPIB) interface board You need the exact working drivers, or You will lost all communications. Note the board type number and ask Your HP/Agilent dealer or service or me.
Pay attention on Your Windows version..

Version 10.x is the latest, with ChemStore/Security Pack v 3.x (if you need to comply with FDA 21CFR11). Preferred connection between PC and Instruments is now TCP/IP, not GPIB. THis also gives you flexibility in location of clients and systems - much less restriction on cabling distance than with GPIB.

You could also look into Cerity which is Agilent's newest CDS. Unlike the old 16bit ChemStation, Cerity is 32bit centered around Oracle databases. Also works with XP (yuck!).
Tim
CDS Administrator
---------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for the humour on a Friday!!
Very funny Tim!!

We just went with a re-evaluation of our whole chromatography data system. We were currently usint the Chemstation/Chemstore package for cGMP reasons, but had numerous problems.
My suggestion, take a look at the cost of upgrading vs bringing in a new vendor. But look at the total cost of the upgrade, including validation, service packages and such. One of the big downsides to the Chemstation program for us, was the addition of chemstore to make it more compliant and the fact that chemstore doesnt reside on the database. Cerity is well beyond what chemstation is and a very good step for Agilent.

My suggestion is to do a thorough evaluation of what is out there. CDS's are very competitive and it often boils down to what system fits the needs of your company best.

Good luck...and god speed....hahaha
4 posts Page 1 of 1