Empower 3 reports?

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Anyone know a good resource to read up on creating reports in Empower 3? I'm surprised there isn't more on this topic given the hundreds of different ways you can use the features-PDA plots, scaling chromatograms, component statistics etc. The Help online on Empower is really basic in this regards and it seems we only use about 5% of the horse power.

Any decent online slide packs or articles?
Most of the information I've found that includes nice report examples comes from slide decks posted at Waters Inform conferences. Google that, and/or custom fields.
Thanks,
DR
Hi DR I tried googling that but really didn't get any info outside of websites where you have to register. You seem very knowledgeable on this subject, I am after picking up a few tips from your posts alone! Do you have any specific links on this subject?
Hi, DR and EmpowersBane,

I'm looking for specific information on Empower3 reports that I can't seem to find online. I'm hoping you can help. I'm running a method on a Waters Alliance e2695 that monitors charged aerosol detector (CAD), 215 nm, and 257 nm. Each of these detectors has its own processing method. Presently, I process and print three (3) reports, one for each detector.

I'd like to find out how to combine all three reports into one. I've searched online and in the Empower Help files, but I'm not finding enough information to create the report the way that I need it to appear. Do you have any resources that you can recommend that would point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Robert
Are you looking to report a table of component peaks from the 3 processing methods, and a separate table for each peak? So for example you run 9 samples, 3 per processing method and you want 3 tables with all the peaks in the 3 processing methods? A summary by all report with order by and filter by conditions can achieve what you are looking for.
Give me an example of what you need. Thanks.
Hi, EmpowersBane,

Below is a link to an example run (stored on the Imgur site) from our Agilent HPLCs. The Agilent HPLCs use ELS and diode array detectors. The link shows the graphical traces grouped together. The tables of peaks appear by channel below the traces.

https://imgur.com/a/tZcexLG

What I have been tasked with doing, and cannot figure out how to do, is to create a single report that shows all of the processed traces first in graphical format and then all of the tables in text format. I'm sure it's simple, but I cannot find the documentation I need to put this together the correct way. What I do now is print out one report per channel, but what I need is one report with all channels in the same report.

If you can point me in the right direction to do this, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks for the screenshot and explanation. I am presuming you run several samples so you want a report which separates the info by sample/injection? I tested some data I have with several derived channels, and I got this to work fine. It will be the same regardless if its an instrument channel, like your DAD or pressure/pump examples, or like mine with several derived channels (pressure and single wavelengths), the same procedure applies.

So in Empower 3, create a new Summary By All report, preferably Landscape to give your chromatograms more room. Add "Auto Scaled with Legend" from the Chromatograms tree on left of report publisher. Edit the Legend to add "Channel name", take out the channel type already there. Channel Name will be the name of each individual channel. Add or remove fields in the legend as you need. Under the "Order by" tab, pick first Channel Name ascending, followed by Channel ID ascending. No other changes are needed.

Next, add in a peak table, making sure to add Channel Name as a field in the first tab so you can see what peaks are derived from what channel, place the peak table group just under your chromatogram with legend group, and order the table by Date Acquired ascending, followed by Retention Time ascending. No need to group by anything. You may need different info in this table such as custom field results, amount, Height etc- add whatever you need. In order to associate all the chromatograms of your channels with all the peaks in those channels, you need to group them and make a composite order. To group select both the chromatogram and table, Edit<Group. Then right click to access Composite Properties- in the Order by Tab here, select first Injection ascending then Samplename ascending. You may want to add something in the Data Filtering here, such as SampleType = Unknown or maybe you only want samples with the label U... considered so could be Label = U*. Whatever suits your needs. Then when you select some processed results and preview using this report, you get the chromatogram of each channel in that sample, displayed one after the other, followed by a table of all the peaks in all those channels in that sample, then another set of chromatograms and peaks for the next injection, etc.

Be aware though that you have a lot of channels to show so its probable that the graphics will spill over 1-2 or more pages, so you might want to add in a page break under your peak table before you do the composite grouping. This will at least make the report look a bit cleaner when you are reporting from one sample to the next. You can always resize the chromatogram with legend group beforehand to test it out to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much! I'm printing your response out and will start working on it. Your explanation is simple and thorough, and I think I should have no problem making this work. Again, many thanks!
8 posts Page 1 of 1