Export MSDChemstation to .csv or ATL Sample Master

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I have an MSDChemStation G1701DA Version D.00.0038 19-Nov 2001 for GC-MS.

Pretty old, eh?

I've been tasked with getting an output file for a LIMS my company has just purchased. I can't figure out how to do this. I don't find any option specifying exporting to excel. I do see where I can save to a file but it will not let me save as .csv or .txt or .D or so as far as I can tell even use that function at all. There is a .txt file that is created upon processing the data. But how can that be used as an output file? I was transferring data from a Perkin Elmer ICP in 2001 so its hard for me to imagine that this is not possible.

I've been able to go into custom reports and generate excel sheet of data that way but only one file at a time; if making multiples it goes straight to the printer. The appearance of the data makes me think they were using excel as a report generator rather than it being a practical way to export data.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not well versed in electronic transfer of data.
It has been a while since I used D.00.xx.

When you process a file do you get a xxx.XLS file? It would be created with a xxx.RES. You can use the .RES but the .XLS is accessible from Excel. After the header information all compound data is in 15 row blocks. It's a bit tedious to set up for a long target list but it can be used for many things. Otherwise use Custom Reports and save the file as a spreadsheet.
There are better ways but they require some programming skill.
Thanks so much for filing back in your mind to using this older version of the software and taking the time to reply.

I don't get an .xls file automatically; the only automatic files are .txt, .ini and .MS Can a LIMS even pull anything form .txt I wouldn't think so.

I can generate .xls with the custom report. Custom report also produce an accompanying .res file but I don't know how to do anything with that.

Good to know there are better ways...but programming skills are something I don't have :(
3 posts Page 1 of 1