MSDChemstation Load Bitmap Error.

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
We are running an HP6890N and a 5973MSD on a dell computer with 512MB of shared memory and Running Windows XP Pro SP2 and are having problems with the MSD Chemstation software. As the sequence runs, the software errors and comes up with a Load Bitmap Error dialogue box that you can click OK on, but it immediately pops back up. Once the error shows up there is no way to get rid of it other than using the task manager to close it. It happens almost constantly now.

I have tried XP Pro without any service packs, with SP 1, 1a, 2, and 3 and still have the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

Which version of chemstation are you running? And have you tried reinstalling chemstation + IO libraires or simply installing and removing Windows Service Packs?

We've had issues in the past with windows updates where the .Net updates installed during the chemstation installation processes (I think it was IO library installation) were modified which caused chemstation to constantly error out. Removing Service Packs didn't fix this issue however installing all Windows updates then reinstalling Chemstation did.

It's G1701DA revision D.01.02 SP1.

We've tried reinstalling everything. Bits and pieced, and the entire thing, with or without SP's installed, and different SP's installed. Still the same problem.
This is exactly the problem we are experiencing now. Were you able to resolve the problem in your instance?
I had the same problem two months ago... I desperately tried many things such as reinstalling the chemstation or eliminate data from hard drive...but there was no improvement.

One day I decided to put a long sequence and minimize the chemstation window, and voila!!no Load Bitmap Error has appeared anymore.

Hope this helps somebody someday!
I've tried everything and this "Load Bitmap" errors are continuing to plague me...I do think that's great that by minimizing the ChemStation App's Windows helped you Laura, but have you or anyone else ever uncovered the cause and TRUE fix for this problem?? It definitely appears as if the Video Card's driver or something has gone completely bonkers; the monitor was even actually plotting the peaks out right on the desktop!

Anyway, all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sammy
Hello All,

The following is for Chemstation running on XP (at least SP2).

The run would start and everything looked normal. During the run, the error happened. The error I kept getting was "Instrument Control - Load Bitmap" followed by "Instrument Control - Load Bitmap Failed" - A lot of boxes with those errors started popping up, and then I most of the icons would disappear. It also began writing the chromatograph on the wallpaper of the desktop.

Well I don't think this is specific to any Chemstation version nor do I think that it has anything to do with service packs for the operating system.

Steps I took to isolate the problem.

1. I had an image for this workstation from a few months past (when this station did not have the problem). I put in a new hard drive and restored the image on it. I then moved over all the data. Started the run and still had the same problem. This both confused and ticked me off.

I considered it may be video card problem or possibly an Ethernet issue.

2. I then configured another Chemstation (same version and identical hardware) to control the GC in question. Copied the method and sequence over. Everything looked good then bam! Same problem. Absolutely identical error.

So the problem followed from one Chemstation to another. AWESOME!

After considering all the possibilities, I decided it had to be a corrupt method.

Steps to fix the problem:

Moved back to the original Chemstation PC
For good measure (and a tech note I saw from an Agilent Tech) I defragged the hard drive.

For XP I have a clean.cmd that has the following. It removes nasty little fragments that windows XP keeps around to speed things up but also can cause programs to run slowly or even hang so I also ran that:
ECHO Y | del C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*
ECHO Y | del %temp%\*.*

Shut down the GC
Shut down the PC
Turned on the GC and waited for it to properly initialize (I do not use BootP)
Turned on the PC
Deleted the method via windows explorer
Recreated the method from scratch with the same name (because we wrote a protocol listing that name)
Used the same sequence
Everything ran perfectly

Since most of us copy methods instead of creating them from scratch, I assert that this is why once this error starts it happens all the time. Also, I have seen people state that they have reinstalled Chemstation and still had the issue - I would say yes because they retained all their methods and copied them back after re-installation which in turn copied the corrupt method(s).

I hope this helps because I wanted to drop kick my 7890 during all of this which took about 8 hours of nonstop troubleshooting to figure out.
Hi!,

This is a method issue. We just had the same problem you all described. After 72 hours of patience, the solution is to delete the "win.pos" file in the method folder. Then copy a working "win.pos" from a previous method. For some reason, out of range window positions are registered in the "win.pos" file and this will result into a "load bitmap error".
8 posts Page 1 of 1