Empower 3 Data Missing

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
We are using Empower 3 FR2 HF1 SR2 in our QC lab and over the last few weeks we have had two "Data Missing" files occur in the system. There has been no entries in the message center to suggest any instrument failures and in fact no entries at all in the message center at the time of the files. The problems have occurred across multiple instruments (Agilent 1200 HPLC and Agilent G1888/6890 headspace system)
Both files are only 1Kb in size compared to the typical 37Kb for a full data file.
From what we can see, the samples were analysed but no data was connected.
Has anyone come across a similar type issue and how was it resolved?
Just an example, but when an instrument is preparing to make an injection, an entry in the oracle database is made for the file that Empower is expecting to be created. If a user happens to cancel a run while the instrument is preparing for the injection, you will get the data missing message with no entries in the message center.

There are other scenarios that could cause such an event without ever hitting the message center.

Not knowing the environment that you are in, but another possibility might be a disconnect between the LAC/E and database server. The LAC/E has the file buffered, but has not pushed it back to the database.

There are ways to force that push back from the LAC/E to database server; however, due to old age they escape me at the moment...
Thanks for your reply. We looked at the idea that the run was cancelled but on talking to the analysts, the sample set was started and none of the runs were cancelled.
We are using locally built LACe's connected to the the Empower 3 database across the site LAN network. The two data missing files were buffered on their LACe's and we had to restart the LACe's to get the files across to the database. Unfortunately, no data had been collected in either file.
So from what we can see, there was a disconnect between the LACe and the database which caused the files to buffer on the LACe and there was also a disconnect between the LACe and the instrument as no data was collected.
Be certain that no antivirus programs are scanning the LACEs' :\empower\* folders.
Thanks,
DR
We've checked the Antivirus and all the recommended exceptions are in place.
How are these instruments hooked to Empower? Are the problems all associated with one LACE?
Thanks,
DR
It has happened on multiple LACe's and on multiple instruments (both HPLC and GC). Our HPLC's are connected to Empower through the LAN and the GC's are connected directly to the LACe's via serial cables. It sems that the run is being initiated on Empower and the initial message is being sent to the instrument because the autosampler arm begins to move and in one case even picked up the vial but then completely stops and does not perform the injection. No errors in the message centre and on the run screen in Empower, it stays on "Waining for Injection" on the GC or "Sample Set - Setting Up" on the HPLC. The run then has to be aborted and the instruments reset in order to actually run the injection. Its happening intermittently so we could have two or three days with no issues and then out of the blue it happens again.
I have seen this issue before with 7890/G1888 systems. Intermittent loss of communication and injection files with no chromatography and 'data missing'. Off the top of my head, Waters recommended the following:

- Replacing any ethernet connections with serial connections from a LACe acquisition server (which you have done)

- Running the Empower 3 software from the start menu rather than a desktop icon

- Disabling all auxiliary software such as antivirus, MS office (think you have this covered)

Other than this I cannot recall anything else - the problem is insanely frustrating to say the least!
Windows event viewer - setup tab. If you're losing your runs during Windows updates that involve rebooting the LACEs, you need to plan the updates to happen when Empower is not running.
Thanks,
DR
Thanks for the replys everyone. Our windows updates are all disabled and our AV settings all check out. We are still having the same problem happen every few days. It seems to be that the command to perform the injection is being sent from Empower and then for some reason, the instrument stops before the injection is perofrmed.
Have you checked the other event logs at the approximate times of the non-injections? There may be a clue there.

As to serial connections for anything - Ethernet is better, faster, more reliable. If your GCs have them, use their ethernet ports.

The kicker here is that it happens to LCs too - unless everything is connected via Serial cables, it's not a driver issue.

Search the registry of a LACE and make SURE that the AV exclusions are there. I've had IS departments tell me that all was well on that front before, and proved them wrong. When a bad AD instruction wipes an exclusion folder on an AV server, this is typical of the resulting chaos.
Thanks,
DR
I have had issues with data missing and buffering errors. I found it to be the NIC card on the Lace box computer. Agilent GC's have a hard time communicating to the Empower system. The Lace box has a operating system on them and the GC network interface to the Lace box is plugged into the NIC card (network interface card) when the NIC card is set up it has a check box that asks about time. Uncheck the box. The data will time out at the NIC card before Empower can input it. I have found this issue if my injection run time is a long one.
12 posts Page 1 of 1