ChemStation (MSD, Various Revs.) - Date not Updating @ 00:00

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, tried to search the forum for this problem but couldn't find anything related at first glance. I work with various versions of MSD ChemStation on different versions of Windows and what I see *rarely* is that the date won't lapse right at 00:00 (I.e. last injection is 3/4/17 23:57 and next injection at 3/5/17 00:20, but says 3/4/17) Sometimes it corrects itself after one injection, sometimes it sticks for a few. Rebooting the PC after this happens usually staves it off for a while but eventually it is bound to happen again.

Was curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, do you have a better solution than just reboot, hope it doesn't happen again, and narrate any time discrepancies?

Thank you!
segaloco wrote:
Hello, tried to search the forum for this problem but couldn't find anything related at first glance. I work with various versions of MSD ChemStation on different versions of Windows and what I see *rarely* is that the date won't lapse right at 00:00 (I.e. last injection is 3/4/17 23:57 and next injection at 3/5/17 00:20, but says 3/4/17) Sometimes it corrects itself after one injection, sometimes it sticks for a few. Rebooting the PC after this happens usually staves it off for a while but eventually it is bound to happen again.

Was curious if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, do you have a better solution than just reboot, hope it doesn't happen again, and narrate any time discrepancies?

Thank you!

Never saw that exactly, but the Win95 version had a bug after year 2000 that would report the year as 19100 instead of 2000. Seems the 19 was hard coded and since 100 came after 99 that is what was put in the date.

It could be a similar problem though, since most windows dates are based on a number such as dddddddd.tttttt where the first part is a decimal version of date and the second is a decimal version of time. I believe it is date first but may be time first, but it reads it as 000000 is midnight and 999999 is one second before midnight. You might have a glitch in the Chemstation that is causing it to not recognize the date portion correctly. It may be as simple a fix as reinstalling that version of Chemstation.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
I have seen this happen as well. We never have figured out a fix. In these cases, we normally just rerun the data.

We have also had some odd behavior with time stamps on reinstallations of older data sytems (1701BA, etc). We get around it by forcing the PC to resync its time against a server just before injection.
Dang, that's a bummer. Well thank you anyway, haven't really been able to find anything else, our approach has just been to add a narrative explaining that this is a known issue. Hasn't caused problems so far with any data validation, so I guess that's fine. Just comes with the territory running old instruments I suppose.
4 posts Page 1 of 1