GC-Headspace cannot be run in Empower 3

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I would like to enquiry on running of GC-Headspace using 7890A as GC and G1888 in Empower 3.

As I tried to run, the "Run Samples" showed me the sample set time Remaining time is "0:00:00:00" and total samples time remaining is "0:00:00:00" and the new sample set time is "0:00:47:35". The running of sample line is not red in color, and yet my vial has already went inside of HS and status of HS equipment is "Running".

May i know how do i run my sample using GC-HS.

Thank you.

Regards,
Agnes Toon
Few things to check when using this configuration:

- check the Empower message centre for any error messages, you may need to refresh it to see the latest ones. Sometimes Empower will fail and will not acquire data but the GC and HS keep going and inject your samples. Extremely frustrating.

if you are getting an error message post it here and I can try and help you with it.

- Make sure the number of vials and vial size specified matches the Empower instrument method exactly. You cannot add extra vials to an existing sample set when using headspace on Empower 3 the way you can with liquid injection GC.

- Make sure that your Empower server or acquisition node can still 'see' the instruments. You can do this by opening up the node properties from the configuration manager.
Hi,

How to do see the error message from the computer that is connected directly to lace?

May i know how to i create instrument method for headspace gc? As Now i can create instrument method either from "run samples" which can use headspace wizard tool or use the create new sample set tool. As i do not know which injection port (front,back,both) for gc. As my headspace is connected to back injector of gc.

I do not know which run time, should i use the headspace run time or gc run time should i use for the sample set.

Thank you.
agnestoon wrote:
Hi,

How to do see the error message from the computer that is connected directly to lace?

If you double-click on the Empower icon on the bottom right of your screen, this should open the message centre (if I remember correctly).

May i know how to i create instrument method for headspace gc? As Now i can create instrument method either from "run samples" which can use headspace wizard tool or use the create new sample set tool. As i do not know which injection port (front,back,both) for gc. As my headspace is connected to back injector of gc.

You can use the headspace wizard, or file -> new method -> create instrument method. From there you can choose the system containing your desired instrument components, so for example 'GC Headspace system 1' should show both GC and HS instruments in your systems in Empower. You will then two separate icons within the instrument method, one for your GC and one for your HS. Enter all parameters and save. Also save a method set. I don't think it matters which injection port you use as long as you have it specified in the column settings of your method (working from memory here so someone else may verify this).

I do not know which run time, should i use the headspace run time or gc run time should i use for the sample set.

Use the GC run time, as the run time in the sample set denotes the data collection time for the detector. Your cycle time/headspace time will be set in the instrument method, but should not be visible on the sample set. Make sure the number of vials in the sample set matches the number of vials programmed into the instrument method

Thank you.
4 posts Page 1 of 1