Connect Waters 474 to Chromeleon

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I have connected a Waters 474 Fluorescence detector to my Chromeleon computer via the RS-232. It required a special 25-9 pin cable, and I have connection now.

I can control the detector from Chromeleon, but I cannot acquire any data. The command "acquisition on" is not in the programming menu :(

Any help is appreciated!!
Hi Mathias
With both Chromeleon (CM6 or CM7) you need a Analog / Digital converter. (UCI-50/100 or A2D). Did you install such a device?
Data acquisition trough the RS-232 is not supported.

Best regards,
Stefan Brand
Thermo Fisher Scientific
sbrand wrote:
Hi Mathias
With both Chromeleon (CM6 or CM7) you need a Analog / Digital converter. (UCI-50/100 or A2D). Did you install such a device?
Data acquisition trough the RS-232 is not supported.

Best regards,

Thank you for your reply!

I have not installed an A/D converter... I will look for one straight away!
We didn't have any in-house...

I assume that a Waters A/D converter will not work? (SAT/IN)
That's correct; the Waters Satin will NOT work with Chromeleon. The only Chromeleon compatible A/D Converter are UCI-50/100 (but obsolete from Thermo) and the A2D (actual modell).
Best regards,
Stefan Brand
Thermo Fisher Scientific
What driver do you use for the 474? I don't find it in the server configuration menu. I am asking because I have a 2475 and I'd like to know if I can control it using the same driver...

Thanks a lot
Jörg
bunnahabhain wrote:
What driver do you use for the 474? I don't find it in the server configuration menu. I am asking because I have a 2475 and I'd like to know if I can control it using the same driver...

Thanks a lot
Jörg

I am afraid that I do not know (or how to see that). It was our admin that hooked up the 474 to my computer.

We used the help menu to find out that we needed a special cable (Part no: 8914.0134) but there was not one word about a A/D-converter...
Funny: My Cm 6.8 lists only the following instruments:

Waters 515 Pump
Waters 600E Pump
Waters Acquity UPLC and UPLC H-Class System
Waters Alliance 2690(D)/2695(D) HPLC Modules
Waters Alliance 2790/2795 HPLC Modules
Waters 717plus Autosampler
Waters 996 and 2996 PDA Detectors
Waters 2487 UV Detector
Waters 2489 UV/Visible Detector and 2998 PDA Detector

No hit when searching for 474...
I don't know if it makes a difference, but we run on Chromeleon 7
Waters FLD 474 is supported in CM6 (at least in SR15) and in CM7 (7.2 MUb) and needs definitely in booth version a A/D converter.

At bunnahabhain: You may not have the latest SP for CM 6.8. You should upgrade to SR15; it's free of charge.
Stefan Brand
Thermo Fisher Scientific
I found another fluorescence detector in our "grave yard".

It is a Dionex RF2000. Do this detector also require an A/D converter?
RF2000 works using serial cable, no need for an A/D box.

@sbrand: I have SR15b but do not see the 474 driver. Nevermind, I don't have the 474 but the 2475...

I installed the RF2000 via the RS232 and it doesn't work...

In the help-file it says that I need a firmware version 9 or higher. My firmware is version 3 :cry:
Your may right, there are some contradictory information. In the list of supported instruments for SR15b the FLD 474 is listed and marked as new. But i agree i there is no such driver available in the server configuration. For CM 7.2 the driver is available and can be selected. However, a A/D converter must be used in this case.
Stefan Brand
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Related to the RF2000:

Is it possible for me to update the firmware? Or do I need to get a service technician here?
20 posts Page 1 of 2