Labsolutions refuses to connect to instrument [solved]

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Suddenly today my HPLC and connected computer have decided to no longer play nice. When I try and start the analysis program, I get error [220d] "Instrument is not connected or already in use". I can totally see the LAN cables that connect it to the computer/router, though, so I know they're at least physically connected (the way the connection is set up is one LAN cable from the computer to a router, and a second LAN cable from the router to the communications bus; I don't know why it's set up that way, but that's how it was installed). There are no error lights on any of the HPLC modules, and the LabSolutions Service icon on the taskbar is green.

(Also, shout-out for how... delightfully, immensely not-helpful the help section is for that error code. :/ )

I have tried restarting the HPLC system, restarting just the connection bus (a CBM-20A), restarting LabSolutions, restarting the computer, and restarting the router. I have tried plugging the communications bus directly to the computer. I have tried cycling the LAN cables to different ports on the router just in case one got fried somehow. When I look at the LAN ports on either end the lights are on indicating that something is happening. The HPLC computer is not connected to the internet or network, so I know that no one else is accidentally trying to use the program at the same time.

The last thing I did on that computer, though, was to run a backup. To do this we had to unplug the HPLC LAN cable and exchange it for a network LAN cable. The HPLC was not on at the time, and I made sure to plug it back in after it was done. We used Acronis True Image, if that helps. Neither myself nor our IT guy changed any computer settings when doing this. The computer has only one LAN port, so I know I plugged it into the right spot. If I go to the network settings, it does show a LAN connection with no internet connectivity, which is normal. Would just unplugging the LAN cable for a short period be enough to mess up the HPLC??

Does anyone have any other suggestion for what I might try, aside from drop-kicking this stupid computer down a stairwell? Of course this had to happen after the tech support line was closed....

[final edit]

Okay, so what happened was that my computer decided to reset its IP settings, so the computer IP address and the instrument IP address no longer matched, which meant that the two could not communicate.

If you also have this happen, check to make sure that your IPv4 settings are NOT set to automatically generate an IP address. The first three fields must match the one that your instrument uses (which on my instrument, a Prominence 20 series, I found using the pump), and then use a different number for the last field.
I have the same problem.Can u plz tell me,how u solved this?? plz plz
Hi,

Are you running Win 7? You need to set a static IP address by going into control panel, network and internet, and go from there.

I had to do this last week as an "incompetent" in IT forced an upgrade onto our computer and the hard drive had to be rebuilt and LabSolutions reinstalled. Second time in two months because of the same individual. Was I a happy camper!
3 posts Page 1 of 1