Pretty pictures for HPLC

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Many journals now ask for Figures as .tif or .eps files. I have an Agilent Chemstation. I also use a program called Origin 6.1 to make graphs. I can copy both Chemstation files or Orgin files into Powerpoint and print them out-they look fine. I can save them as .eps files from Powerpoint but when printed out they look lousy-furry lines, blurred graphics. I can export .eps files from Origin 6.1 directly. I can read them in Adobe Photoshop but again they look lousy printed out. Can anyone help with this?
First I dont know how powerpoint files can be converted to eps format.

For EPS use Drawing or layout softwares. e.g. Adobe illuterator, Corel Draw
For TIFF use Imaging softwares.

Origin graphs can be saved in eps form directly when the graph window is opend via export page submenus in File menus. Such files are true eps vector drawings and use mathematical point to point relationship for drawings.
Important is your original software shall have EPS exporting option.

If you export files to Imaging softwares like Adobe/or Powerpoint they are treated as bitmap and treat lines text as embedded objects. IF they saved as eps format they are not versatile in terms of size change, because image objects are not in vector graphic format.

For Figures like choromatograms I prefer TIFF file format. I copy the file to windows clipboard and paste in imaging software and save as TIFF.

ALternatively for EPS file one can paste the clipboard figure to suitable drawing software and 'paste special' in windows enhanced meta file format (EMF) or windows meta file format (WMF) and save as EPS. Since a meta file store information in combination of lines, text graphics; In many cases it would be versatile as EPS but in certain cases it may not be.

For me if original program have EPS export option use EPS and if not use TIFF.

"I would like to know how one can save file in eps file format in Powerpoint"

I used to export to EPS by installing an EPS printer driver, then printing to file instead of paper. I could then take that into my favorite drawing program (Canvas). The thing to watch out for with EPS is the preview, a low-res bitmap. A lot of printers don't understand EPS and print only the preview; you need a printer that understands EPS and use the EPS printer driver.

PowerPoint likewise imports only the EPS preview. (PDF and EPS vector graphics are hopeless with PowerPoint.) Photoshop imports only the preview.
Mark Tracy
Senior Chemist
Dionex Corp.

For my last few publications, I just copy the chromatograms from Chemstation into "clipboard" using the copy option beneath Graphics, then paste into Wordpad, then take to my desk computer and paste into Word". From there I can submit as a Word file or create an Adobe file, which was the choice of format.
Ok these are the steps to get EPS or PS from any program:

1. Install the 'Generic postscript driver'. (One can be downloaded from Adobe using this link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows.

2. Create the image/drawing in your program and select to print under file menus.

3. Select your printer to 'generic postscript printer'.
4. Checkbox save to file. (located under 'general' Tab).
5. Under Paper/Quality Tab select advanced>Postscript options>postscript output option>EPS>Ok>Print
6. When prompted for filename do so with .eps extension along with file saving path information (like C:\windows\desktop\myfile.eps).

For those who use Macintosh, I have written an application that reads AIA (Andi) formatted chromatograms and can export them as EPS, PDF, TIFF, etc. It is a free download from www.mt-se.com/xhr_1.html
Mark Tracy

Senior Chemist

Dionex Corp.

Thank you all for these very helpful comments.

jitender- I'm sorry, I was mistaken. You can save Powerpoint files as .tif files, but not aparently as .eps files. However, the quality is still lousy if these files are subsequently viewed. I guess this may be because Powerpoint is only using some sort of preview .eps image as Mark suggests. I could not find "Generic postscript driver" on the website you suggested??

Consumer products guy- yes it's easy to submit Word and Powerpoint files, or convert them into .pdf files. However, the result in the printed publications is acceptable but disappointing. I guess the publishers merely convert these files into .eps files or .tif files and they are only working with some Preview image as above? I'm still not sure why the publishers can't use Powerpoint files directly, because before any conversion these look perfect when chromatograms from the Chemstation are pasted in, or from data directly entered into Powerpoint...
Victor-I am surprised why this link is not working for you. Because I just checked and its working. Probably you need the english version of Driver which can be downloaded clicking this link http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/printerdrivers/win/1.x/winsteng.exe

In case you are apprehensive about clicking any url containing .exe (I feel so because I will not click just any link) you may click this link http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=1500&fileID=1438 and click there Download button.

Else I beleive there may be available many generic post script driver if you google it.

Victor, the quality of pdf files varies tremendously based on the settings. We use PowerPoint to prepare all of our training course materials, but convert to pdf for printing the handout materials. The default settings are designed for maximum compression and reasonable on-screen viewability. In essence, graphics are reduced to 72 dpi, versus 300 to 1200 dpi required for print. Those settings can be changed, and excellent quality pdf files can be generated. The catch is, they can be quite large.

There seems to be more ambiguity about the eps standard. On the rare occasions when eps (or tif) are required, I find it easier to paste my PowerPoint slides into a basic graphics program (I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro) and then save in the appropriate format.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
9 posts Page 1 of 1