PE autosystem XL with integal link PC connection problem

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

30 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi gals
I've got 2 used Gc's with no computer.
One is Perkin Elmer Autosystem and another is Perkin Elmer Autosystem XL. Both should be made around 1996.
Gc's start up and work fine with keypad. Both have integral Link 680 installed on them with GPIB and RS-232 ports on left side panel.
Now I want to connect them to PC. I've Totalchrom workstation version 6.3.2 and APK for autosysem installed.
when I connect Gc's by GPIB, ( Agilent PCI card), IOLIB detects GC on GPIB port.
Problem is that I can not configure GC in Totalchrom. Not by GPIB nor by Rs-232 cable, Totalchrom wont connect to port.
When I try TC Configuration Editor, after hitting "Query port for type", it says:"Failed to connect to acquire server".
Ive tried it on several computers, but no luck. every time I got stuck in this stage.( both GC's have same result).
by the way, my serial cable is : 1-1 2-3 3-2 7-7. But, I could not connect through RS-232 either.
Now, I'm looking to hear from anybody have experience with Link 600, or Integral Link 680 and these Gc's configuration.
any help and idea is greatly appreciated.
bahram
Hi Bahram,

I thought ours were quite old (1998 and 2000) - if its any consolation
they work well still. If you have autosamplers - I find them very robust.

We have a Lantronix box which was installed to connect our 2 Autosytem GCs and a PE HPLC
to our Totalchrom PC (which has a network card installed).

Regards
WK
I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Just A Minute - The Unbelievable Truth
Dear WK
thanks for reply
these Gc's have integral Link 680 with GPIB and RS-232 port.
I think it means that they do not need Box to connect to PC. but, I could not manage to connect them yet.
My GPIB cards are NI and Agilent, not Zithech. did any body has any knowledge about Proper GPIB card for PE GCs?
besides, I've made RS-232 Cable by this pattern: 1-1 2-3 3-2 7-7. is this proper cable for host, Link connection?

another question: are these GC's compatible with Totalchrom 6.3.2?

thanks in advance
Update:
I've managed to connect to XL GC without any instrument. just software and cable.( if you've problem, contact me)

Now, I'm going to use software.
I've few questions for now, and will be glad if you've answer them:

1-when I start XL , on startup I see this in instrument panel:"1111XX1". is this OK? or something is wrong with instrument test?

2-when I load a method in TC, I get this error in error window:
" GCXL -984 0ERROR: 3 VALUE OUT OF RANGE ERROR 61 AT A: = Instrument reports an error.
9:44:54 AM GCXL Acquire Client: Error parsing ISTAT data, failed to update status "
and status window says:"ACS comm error"
I'm not sure where is this error coming from and will be happy if you give a hint.

3- I do not have hardware manual for XL and really confused dealing with DTF errors. I tried to setup PPC manually, but no success yet.

Thanks

bahram111@yahoo.com
dr_bahram1977 wrote:
... and APK for autosysem installed.

What is APK ?
Is it hardware key protecting software from installing without license ?

At least Turbochrom needs this software protection key.
Maybe Totalchrom does not.
dblux_ wrote:
dr_bahram1977 wrote:
... and APK for autosysem installed.

What is APK ?
Is it hardware key protecting software from installing without license ?

At least Turbochrom needs this software protection key.
Maybe Totalchrom does not.

yes
it's license for software use.
consist of some data validating legal use.
SOLVED

Finally, I could connect to Gc, and setup method and get it run fully.
I'm here for any questions about PE GC problems.
bahram
dr_bahram1977,

I too recently acquired a used autosystem XL and was curious as to how you connected the autosystem XL to a PC? Was it as simple as connecting via the serial port on the XL?

Also, what software are you using to run the GC? I have a copy of totalchrom however I cannot seem to get it activated (this maybe due to the PC not being connected to the GC yet).

Thanks!
bmscott wrote:
dr_bahram1977,

I too recently acquired a used autosystem XL and was curious as to how you connected the autosystem XL to a PC? Was it as simple as connecting via the serial port on the XL?

Also, what software are you using to run the GC? I have a copy of totalchrom however I cannot seem to get it activated (this maybe due to the PC not being connected to the GC yet).

Thanks!

Well, it's not so hard. if your system has integrated Link 680, you've to build a serial cable, then connect it to computer and run the software. some tricks of course, but nothing to stuck in. software is Totalchrome. if you've any problem, write here in detail and I'll reply them all.
dr_bahram1977,

Thank you for getting back to me. Apologies for the slow response.

I am hoping you can shed some more light on the connection of the GC to a PC. The Autosystem has the integral Link 680 installed with the GPIB and RS-232 ports available but I am not familiar with how to build a serial cable. Did you build a 9 pin or 25 pin?

I have purchased a 9 pin serial cable as well as a 25 pin - 9 pin adapter (my PC has a 9 pin RS 232 serial port available) as well as a 25 pin - USB cable. Do you think either of these would work?

Also, I was wondering which DIP switches you have ON/OFF.

I am still having trouble getting Total Chrom operational (the merge function is not available so I cannot install the new license). Any experience with this? It's possible this is what is causing the hold up on confirming connectivity, however, utilising another GC software (Peak Simple) I am still unable to connect.

Thanks,

Dr. Ben Scott
bmscott wrote:
dr_bahram1977,

Thank you for getting back to me. Apologies for the slow response.

I am hoping you can shed some more light on the connection of the GC to a PC. The Autosystem has the integral Link 680 installed with the GPIB and RS-232 ports available but I am not familiar with how to build a serial cable. Did you build a 9 pin or 25 pin?

I have purchased a 9 pin serial cable as well as a 25 pin - 9 pin adapter (my PC has a 9 pin RS 232 serial port available) as well as a 25 pin - USB cable. Do you think either of these would work?

Also, I was wondering which DIP switches you have ON/OFF.

I am still having trouble getting Total Chrom operational (the merge function is not available so I cannot install the new license). Any experience with this? It's possible this is what is causing the hold up on confirming connectivity, however, utilising another GC software (Peak Simple) I am still unable to connect.

Thanks,

Dr. Ben Scott

Hi
Forget the GPIB. You've to build 25-9 Cable. if you don't have diagram, write me.
dr_bahram1977,

I was able to purchase the cable from PE that is used for the Autosystem XL. Do you have more than one rs-232 port on your GC? I only have the one on the side panel (labelled serial/host), next to the GPIB port. The "Autosystem XL GC IPM Installation Manual" says to use the external computer port under the electronics access panel, not the serial/host port on the side.

I am curious if you have more than one and whether or not I actually have the Integral LINK present.

Thanks for your input and prompt responses!

Dr. Ben Scott
bmscott wrote:
dr_bahram1977,

I was able to purchase the cable from PE that is used for the Autosystem XL. Do you have more than one rs-232 port on your GC? I only have the one on the side panel (labelled serial/host), next to the GPIB port. The "Autosystem XL GC IPM Installation Manual" says to use the external computer port under the electronics access panel, not the serial/host port on the side.

I am curious if you have more than one and whether or not I actually have the Integral LINK present.

Dr. Ben Scott

Ben,

Forget what n says. just connect cable to side connector and go on. I've read what you way, but it's not true. my instrument is same as yours.
dr_bahram1977 wrote:
bmscott wrote:
dr_bahram1977,

Dr. Ben Scott

Ben,

Forget what n says. just connect cable to side connector and go on. I've read what you way, but it's not true. my instrument is same as yours.

Dr Bahram,

Ok, thanks. That's what I assumed. For some reason, total chrom still will not recognise the instrument. I only have a male 9 pin serial port on the computer (the same as the end of the PE cable I purchased) so it won't plug in directly. I used a female-female 9-pin serial cable to link the cable to the GC so I am not sure if it is somehow disrupting the communication.

For the red/white "setup" switches on the side of the GC (between the GPIB and 25 pin serial ports), what switches do you have on?

Thanks,
I've made cable according to manual. just set DIP switch as manual says. set it to RS232 with default bud rates.
if you don't have APK ( license ) you won't be able to connect too.
30 posts Page 1 of 2