PE autosystem XL with integal link PC connection problem

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

30 posts Page 2 of 2
I realize this is an old post but hopefully someone out there can help.
I am having issues getting totalchrome to recognize the instrument using the serial connection (not GPIB). Any suggestions.
Thanks,
you cant connect by GPIB. it needs special card.
for serial connection you need:
1- proper cable
2- software setup

you can do that by documents.
Thanks for the response.

I am trying via serial cuz that is what we got. The cables are correct (from PE) I even pried them apart to confirm the wiring with the diagram in the manual. I can get through most of the software setup but then when I query the com port to I get a message that says "interface not found or is unavailable". I've tried connecting to the serial port on the side and on the top of the GC unit. Still no luck.
update: I've tried resetting the LINK, disabling and renabling com port, powering down everything and reconfiguring. Still no luck. This is so frustrating. I've even tried to different 9-25 cords. :cry:
Called PE and they seemed stumped. Said that just keep trying over and over and sometimes it works and takes a little magic.
Had I known that PE instruments run on magic I may have gone a different route. :mrgreen:

If anyone has any inputs I'd appreciate it
Hi
you should use side connector, not top one.
I think you've Link 680 side board. If yes, when you configure the system, it should see your instrument.

a problem that I've seen was error in Link 680. may be MAX 232 chip has problem and that could be the situation.

honestly, no magic is there. correct cable, correct software setup and success in first try.
if you're sure about your cable and setting, you should check for Link 680 .
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Sorry for any frustrated rants in my previous post.
I've tried the serial connection on the side of the instrument with no luck.

Supposing the MAX 232 chip is a problem I assume that means a new LINK 680 side board is in order?
or is there a reasonable way to replace the MAX232 chip? My initial persuing online shows that it might require cutting out the old chip and resoldering the new in. Which might be beyond my rudimentary hacking skills :oops: .

Thanks again for your help.
Hi
if you're going to buy a board, go for stand alone Link 900 box. you can find used box for low price.
repair is not so hard. just you've to remove a chip and re-solder new one.
Back again.

Update: We contacted PE and had them remotely connect to our computer and solve the problem. FAIL.
We were advised to try and either get a replacement integrated LINK board or an external LINK 600/680 series with DB25-Female to DB-9 Male cable with a custom pinout (different from the DB25 female to DB9 female RS-232 required for connecting the computer to instrument).

Because it was cheaper we went with a used LINK 600 and had the custom cable made.

This proved a minor success. The TC software was able to identify the 600 Link box allowing us to move past the " interface not found or is unavailable" error when the com port was queried. But then a few screens later keep getting COM port errors # 23 (Cable not connected) # 35(Inst. does not respond) and #60 (Communications error). Basically, it can't find the Autosystem XL The cable is clearly connected and the machine on with external control selected on the keypad. We've tried every combination of connecting the LINK 600 to the GC via the top or side DB25 port with or without the intergral LINK board connected. No luck.

Kinda at a loss at this point but wanted to update people and hopefully this will be informative to others in the future.
On the off chance anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear.
If you get a COM port error then it could be causing the other errors. Did you connect the GC to a terminal server or directly to a PC? On the PC if you go to Control Panel->System and Security->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->System Tools->Device Manager->Ports: Do you see the COM Port # you configured? If your not sure, unplug the cable and see if one of the COM ports disappears. If none of them disappear then the PC isn't seeing the connection as a COM port.
In Totalchrom System Configuration; When you Added Acquisition Port, did you select Device Type as Serial and put the COM Port # that is visible in the PC Device Manager Port? I've had less trouble connecting instruments LINK to a terminal server, giving the terminal server an IP address and Adding the Acquisition Port as Terminal Server and using the IP address you gave it.
If your using an external 600 series LINK then make sure the Setup switches are all in the correct position. You may need to turn everything off completely, unplug the power cords, connections and try again. After you queried the port are you sure that you selected the correct instrument type so that the correct IPM is installed to the LINK?
dr_bahram1977 wrote:
Update:
I've managed to connect to XL GC without any instrument. just software and cable.( if you've problem, contact me)

-984 0ERROR: 3 VALUE OUT OF RANGE ERROR 61 AT A: = Instrument reports an error.

bahram111@yahoo.com

I am getting this error when I try to run a method using TurboMass. Did you figure out the cause for this error?

Thanks.
ecopinky wrote:
dr_bahram1977 wrote:
Update:

-984 0ERROR: 3 VALUE OUT OF RANGE ERROR 61 AT A: = Instrument reports an error.

bahram111@yahoo.com

I am getting this error when I try to run a method using TurboMass. Did you figure out the cause for this error?

Thanks.

1-go to instrument configuration panel on GC.
2- configure it correctly.
3- go to software configuration.
4- configure it as you've done on GC.

It's all.
these error are for unmatched configurations in hardware and software.
Hello, I have a problem, in my GC-MS, PERKINELMER GC CLARUS 680 Y MS SQ8, in the mass spectrometer i get the following error: -984 0 ERROR: 92 GC BUSY ERROR G1 AT A:=Instrument report an error.

Sorry for my english, i am foreign.
Hello,
I just bought a used Perkin Elmer AutosystemXL, Found out that it came with an ISA Card. I can’t find an old computer to work with it. Can you tell me how to connect the serial port on th GC to PC?
colliersharp wrote:
Back again.

Update: We contacted PE and had them remotely connect to our computer and solve the problem. FAIL.
We were advised to try and either get a replacement integrated LINK board or an external LINK 600/680 series with DB25-Female to DB-9 Male cable with a custom pinout (different from the DB25 female to DB9 female RS-232 required for connecting the computer to instrument).

Because it was cheaper we went with a used LINK 600 and had the custom cable made.

This proved a minor success. The TC software was able to identify the 600 Link box allowing us to move past the " interface not found or is unavailable" error when the com port was queried. But then a few screens later keep getting COM port errors # 23 (Cable not connected) # 35(Inst. does not respond) and #60 (Communications error). Basically, it can't find the Autosystem XL The cable is clearly connected and the machine on with external control selected on the keypad. We've tried every combination of connecting the LINK 600 to the GC via the top or side DB25 port with or without the intergral LINK board connected. No luck.

Kinda at a loss at this point but wanted to update people and hopefully this will be informative to others in the future.
On the off chance anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear.

Hi did you ever resolve your issue?, we are experiencing the same thing after disconnecting our instrument
dr_bahram1977 wrote:
SOLVED

Finally, I could connect to Gc, and setup method and get it run fully.
I'm here for any questions about PE GC problems.
bahram

Hello,

I have received the same 984 message. Care to share what you found the solution to be?

Thanks!
30 posts Page 2 of 2