Varian "upgrade" to Windows 7 options?

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello folks. As the deadline approaches for using WindowsXP, we are trying to figure out what to do with
our Varian GC/LC/MS instrumentation that is running various flavors of Varian software (like MSWorkstation)
and WindowsXP. Since most of the Varian software will not run on Windows7, what options have others
explored? Getting new equipment is obviously not a great option for the academic world, but software
and minimal hardware upgrades might be an option. Thanks in advance for any info.

Charles F. Wandler
Scientific Technical Services
Western Washington University
516 High Street/MS9079
Bellingham, WA 98225-9079
office phone: (360) 650-2831
email: charles.wandler@wwu.edu
This is a bit outside my area of expertise, but why is there a limit on using XP? At "end of life", MicroSerf will stop providing upgrades, but if your XT machines are working now, they won't work any worse.

The potential issue that I can see is security upgrades, but if you're set up the XP boxes as instrument controllers on an internal LAN without direct internet access, that's a relatively minor problem. I still have one file server happily running Windows 2000.

If security is an issue, can you control the instruments from XP running in a virtual machine under Win 7 or Win 8 or Linux?
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Hello!
The best option is Windows XP, even without Microsoft support, it does´nt affect the use of equipment.

The latest version of MS workstation is 6.93, this version was created for windows XP.
However, I use it with windows 7 in compatibility mode and it works very well, I think that is good option.
Regards!

Ariel
----------------------------------------------------------
Ariel A. Ciarlo

Lab Solutions Argentina
www.labsolutions.com.ar
ariel.ciarlo@labsolutions.com.ar
Hi you can use Varian Ms workstation 6.9.3 with windows 7, or Varian Ms workstation version 7.0 with windows 7.
In both system the software run very well.
Any chance someone can get me a copy of Varian MS workstation 6.whatever? I contacted Bruker to get their Bruker MS Workstation 7, but the representative said it probably wouldn't work on Varian Saturn instruments. Since Varian is no longer around, I can't order their software. If anyone is generous enough to extend me a copy and serial code, I would greatly appreciate it... Maybe I have some software we can trade for? Thanks.

EDIT: Bruker got back to me. Bruker MS Workstation 7 DOES NOT support Varian 2000/2200 MS instruments... :( Still hoping someone might extend me a copy.
Hi entropiclabs,

If you have not yet, give me an emai address?

Regards,
cwandler,

I am in the process of putting Galaxie on a Win 7 running Virtual XP. I'll let you know how that goes.

It may be possible to put the Varian software on a Win7 PC if you have a late enough version and you build a 32 bit Win 7 PC. I have been successful doing that with a version of Chemstation that was built for XP.

Best regards,

AICMM
Hi marlenl,

it would be nice if you could help me out with an newer version as 6.42 of the Varian MSWS.
Thank you very much.

Stephan

marlenl wrote:
Hi entropiclabs,

If you have not yet, give me an emai address?

Regards,
Hi AICMM,

Can you tell how it went with a problem of Galaxie on a Win 7? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Veronika

AICMM wrote:
cwandler,

I am in the process of putting Galaxie on a Win 7 running Virtual XP. I'll let you know how that goes.

It may be possible to put the Varian software on a Win7 PC if you have a late enough version and you build a 32 bit Win 7 PC. I have been successful doing that with a version of Chemstation that was built for XP.

Best regards,

AICMM
Hello Veronica,

Tha Galaxie 1.10 is Win7 compatible. Working fine.

Regards,
We just inherited a couple Saturn2000 systems from a recent lab acquisition. I have been looking into upgrading them since they are still running on Win98. The problem I have with one is that the communications is using the coax ethernet connector. Is there a version of software that is newer that will work with that setup? Is there a way to upgrade the communications to a newer type of interface?

The instrument runs great, I am just worried the old computer will die soon.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
You can npt modify the GC side. The only way to use a 10BASE-T to 10BASE2 media converter or similar. Working fine.
http://www.transition.com/TransitionNet ... -CX-TBT-02
I'm in IT support for our researchers, and am not familiar with the equipment at all. But our network security people want us to start getting XP machines on the network. Do you know if the Win 7 box would have to be a 32-bit?

VeronikaH wrote:
Hi AICMM,

Can you tell how it went with a problem of Galaxie on a Win 7? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Veronika

AICMM wrote:
cwandler,

Best regards,

AICMM
I can get your version of Varian Workstation working on Windows 10, if anyone is interested.
labtechjer wrote:
I can get your version of Varian Workstation working on Windows 10, if anyone is interested.

Hi. My best wishes for this new year. I'm interested with this. I'm in IT and I have to upgrade every workstation to windows 10. Can you please help me ?
Regards
16 posts Page 1 of 2