Can't talk to 35900!?

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

21 posts Page 2 of 2
I actually do see the red vertical line at the start of an injection, however not any recorded ADC data. I will try connecting the 1100 DAD to the 35900 with remote cable.
Make sure the "Save Data" box is checked unter Instrument, ADC
It was of course.
The remote cable was the missing part. Now the ADC icon becomes blue, like the DAD icon when a sample is running. Before it was still green.
Everything works fine now. Thanks for all your help guys!
I am running ChemStation B.04.03(16) on a Windows XP machine with an Agilent 1100 HPLC system. I connected an HP 35900C A/D box to the autosampler via an HP-IB cable. When I use the ChemStation Configuration Editor, the only option I see for adding instruments to the 1100 system is an Agilent 35900E. This option is shown whether my 35900C is powered up or not. Further, the only option I am given is to use a LAN connection (the HPIB option is grayed out). Ideally, the HPIB option would be available, which would let me set the address of the A/D box.

The DIP switches in the back of the 35900C are as follows:
bottom DIP switch (left to right): up, up, up (to select HPIB rather than RS232), down, up, up, down, up (to select address 13)
both upper DIP switches: all down

The 35900C powers up, the fault light flashes and then goes out, and then the "ready light" comes on and stays on.

Questions:
Is the 35900C compatible with the version of ChemStation I am using?
Is there a "firmware" update that would make the 35900C compatible?
If the 35900C is compatible, could the 35900C be faulty (even though the ready light is on)?
Could the HPIB cable be faulty?
Are the DIP switches on the 35900C correctly set?

Thanks--Jim S
In response to "Jim S":

"Is the 35900C compatible with the version of ChemStation I am using?"
NO. It is not. Only the 35900E is.

"Is there a "firmware" update that would make the 35900C compatible?"
Not applicable, see above reason.

"If the 35900C is compatible, could the 35900C be faulty (even though the ready light is on)?"
See above.

"Could the HPIB cable be faulty?" & "Are the DIP switches on the 35900C correctly set?"

Not likely and does not matter as the 35900C is not compatible with your system.

*Regarding the use of Windows XP Pro. If you must use that O/S, then only the version with Service Pack 3 is supported. Otherwise, seriously consider upgrading to more modern computer hardware and O/S to Windows 7.0 Pro 32 bit which are officially supported for that rev.
Thank you Multidimensional for your prompt and informative answer. Time to shop for a good 35900E.
21 posts Page 2 of 2