Chemstation b.04.02

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I am running chemstation b.04.02 on an agilent 1200. When starting a sequence and then acidentally clicking stop before the ALS injects the sample the error comes up that the directory in which the data, methods and sequences are stored have changed. Another error message that shows is "no string 8007". Does anyone know how to fix this? :? :?
The base data directory is set in the chemstation "configuration editor" which should be in the start menu under "chemstations". Normally, accidentally clicking "stop" would not cause any future problems. Are you still having problems with this? I am not familiar with the "no string 8007" error message.
I can only comment that ChemStation has never appreciated it when a user hits "STOP" instead of the correct key, ABORT after a run has been first initiated. Never interrupt the injector, wait till after it is finished and the run is fully in progress (This is why it is nice to have a manually activated column by-pass position so you dump the sample to waste when something goes wrong, thus saving you from having to flush the column down). RUN Stop can then be used to end the run early, after the initial functions (i.e. injection) are complete.

All kinds of strange problems can come up when you interrupt the start of a run. *I do see you state that it was an accident. I would not be too concerned with what happens when you hit the wrong key, but what happens when you hit the ABORT key instead. Does the system terminate the run correctly ? The system should terminate the run correctly and go back to a READY mode. Hitting the Run Stop key during initialization and/or injection (a big no-no) usually screws up the entire method leaving you hang somewhere in the program.

*B.04.02 also has a number of patch files and service packs which need to be applied. May not be relevant, but thought I would toss it in.
Diagnosis
Look at the file C:\WINDOWS\CHEMSTATION.INI
If the data path variable is "_DATAPATH$=\", then you will have errors at startup and the
View | Preferences | Data Path will show a "\" as the default data path.
You need to edit the CHEMSTATION.INI file in NOTEPAD.EXE with ChemStation NOT running.
Solution
Replace the incorrect "_DATAPATH$=\" with the correct "_DATAPATH$=C:\Chem32\1\DATA\" (modify path to suit your situation)
Thank you DMC024, your solution below was most helpfull, it worked for my problem. thanks :D
hplcconsult: on an Agilent 1100 (and 1200) system if you don't have a manual column bypass and realise you really don't want the injection that's about to happen to land up on your column, you can also quickly open the purge valve so there's no solvent flow into the column. Once the injection is safely out of the way, stop the pump, remove the column, run for a few minutes to waste, and then replace the column.
:D Thank´s Dmc024 for your useful answer!!!

Dmc024 wrote:
Diagnosis
Look at the file C:\WINDOWS\CHEMSTATION.INI
If the data path variable is "_DATAPATH$=\", then you will have errors at startup and the
View | Preferences | Data Path will show a "\" as the default data path.
You need to edit the CHEMSTATION.INI file in NOTEPAD.EXE with ChemStation NOT running.
Solution
Replace the incorrect "_DATAPATH$=\" with the correct "_DATAPATH$=C:\Chem32\1\DATA\" (modify path to suit your situation)
lmh wrote:
hplcconsult: on an Agilent 1100 (and 1200) system if you don't have a manual column bypass and realise you really don't want the injection that's about to happen to land up on your column, you can also quickly open the purge valve so there's no solvent flow into the column. Once the injection is safely out of the way, stop the pump, remove the column, run for a few minutes to waste, and then replace the column.

Bad idea IMHO.
Opening purge valve will abruptly reduce high pressure to zero and column packing will expand. I doubt column might resist such abuse - void volumes will form inside packing. And typical, "doubled" peaks (snake tongue like) will tell of sad end of column life. Monolitic columns are much more forgiving and probably might survive.

disclaimer - I'm not aware whether 1100 or 1200 is somehow secured against pressure drop when purge valve is opened. Dionex LPG 680 pump certainly is not.
Good proviso for some more delicate columns perhaps, but modern silica-based RP columns, especially those with good packing of well-controlled spherical particles, are practically indestructable. Releasing pressure via a purge valve really doesn't damage them, honestly - if it did, then every time a column fitting came out under pressure, you'd have to throw the column away. There isn't much chance of the material expanding, as it isn't appreciably compressed in the first place; column packing isn't all that elastic. Try it, you'll have to really work hard to create a void in a good silica column by mere variations of pressure within the column's limits!
oh, and since this thread is resurrected: someone said about changing Chemstation's base directory for data using the configuration editor. True, but in more recent versions of chemstation you can also do it via "View - Preferences", which avoids closing down Chemstation. The directories available for data are, however, saved only when chemstation closes in an organised fashion. If it crashes, when you reopen, you'll find the directories are the previous ones, and you'll have to do "View - Preferences" again...
lmh wrote:
... Try it, you'll have to really work hard to create a void in a good silica column by mere variations of pressure within the column's limits!

Here you are. :wink:

http://i.imgur.com/GRbaq.gif

Standard dimension Hypersil Green PAH column manufactured by Thermo Electron. Blue peak with voids and black one after replacing column.

I always repeat coworkers not to touch purge valve on pressurized system.
Awesome tips here, the CHEMSTATION.INI edit has fixed problems on two of my systems!! :mrgreen:
Hello,
I still new with hplc staff but i have problem with "no string 8007 & Autostart Macro failed, error # 16419", but when i look in NOTEPAD.EXE the DATAPATH shows "_DATAPATH$=C:\Chem32\1\DATA\" . I also do it via view<preference the datapath shows "/" and "_DATAPATH$=C:\Chem32\1\DATA\". When i open the online system, the system is ready, but i cannot press the "START". It show "error on checking free disk space".
Most of the errors reported could be fixed if you download and install the many patch files for that rev of software (due to the huge number of problems in B.04.02 (Due to the large number of changes and incompatibilities introduced, it really should have been Rev B.05.0. probably one of the worst revision to use IMO).

Opening the prime purge valve during a run should not hurt the column. Modern columns are very rugged (perhaps not old fashion Hypersil. Does anyone still use them?) are fine.

BTW: If you do not have a proper high pressure low volume bypass valve set up, then I would just let the sample be injected on the column, then go into the method and change the solvent comp to flush it right off quickly. I would not open the prime purge valve and interrupt the method or injector, sending the pressure to zero and leaving the sample stuck in the injector. Just let it flush out normally and you will be back to running normally in no time. Keeping it simple is the key.
14 posts Page 1 of 1