A new Chromatographic data system

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

11 posts Page 1 of 1
We are to by a new Chromatographic data system. who of you can tell which one is better from different points of usage:
1) HP chemstation
2) Varian Galaxy
3) Thermo Atlas
4) Thermo EZChrom

Thank for every response
you can contact me at arie.katzir@caol.co.il
Check out Chromeleon by Dionex.

Have a look at Totalchrom from Perkin-Elmer
WK

Hello Arie,

Everyone can give you suggestions, but you may find that those suggestions are based on personal experience and preferences.

So, rather than give you my suggestion for a CDS, let me give some advice and one or two references.

Your group needs to develop your user requirement specifications (URS) for a CDS. The program you buy should depend on what you need it to do for your situation. Ask yourself: how many instruments will data be collected from, can you easily add more instruments, do you want instrument control from the CDS, will you link the data to a LIMS, what vendors are in your area, what are your regulatory and validation requirements (if any), etc. Once you find out your questions, then you can ask the vendors. This can be simple or complex, depending on the needs and size of your group.

Scientific Computing does reader surveys to see what their readers prefer. This journal is also a good source for information for CDS-related articles. You can check them out at:

http://www.scimag.com/default.aspx

The LIMSource can also provide useful references:

http://www.limsource.com/home.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dan

P.S. Okay, I can't help but give a couple of suggestions: We use Thermo Atlas, it's good. I've also used Waters Millennium and I can recommend that.

Hi Arie,
I agree with Dan, in that you need to decide what you want the system to do through a URS - don't just rely on the subjective opinions that most of us have. Include things like regulatory requirements, quantity of data to be stored, number of systems and users, support levels/costs, types of system and degree of control over those systems (full control and acquisition, complete with diagnostic testing right through to just acuiring an analogue signal). Maybe (depending on how big an investment your company is going to have to make), send the URS to different CDS vendors to see if they can meet your needs - they'll probably all say yes, but again depends on how much detail there is in your requirements document.

Note that if you get a CDS from a vendor different to the HPLC vendor, who are you going to turn to for help when things go wrong - there will usually be a big grey area where both vendors say "it's not our side, it's theirs!"

Also, try to get a loan system from the vendor (or get a PC in that they can install a standalone system onto), kick them off site after they've given some basic training, then play with the system.

If you check the forum archives, there are numerous discussions on the subject of which is the best CDS. At the end of the day, it depends what YOU need it for.
Tim
CDS Administrator
---------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

WK wrote:
Have a look at Totalchrom from Perkin-Elmer
WK

<switching from Total*Chrom to Empower (Waters)
Thanks,
DR

I'm curious DR,
Why did you switch?
WK

My department was using Access*Chrom for several years and was pretty well forced to either switch to T*C, or start over w/ new hardware etc. etc. We have had some very long standing issues w/ T*C and our internal support isn't what it used to be. I, for example, never lost a file using Access*Chrom but have lost entire runs in T*C due to the type of bugs that can only exist as a result of poor coding and persistent resistence to fixing said coding.

In short, we've waited for years for some of the stupid bugs to be fixed and it has never happened. Another department at the same site moved to Millennium32 a few years ago and has had very good experiences with it. Their system requires very little in the way of admin. time. Since my department is moving out of our building and into a new facility, we decided not to bring T*C along.
Thanks,
DR

Thanks very much to all of you
I'm specially interested in GC application, not for HPLC ( we use Millenium very well for this), after using HP Chemstation on GC and on MDS, we try to improve our CDS, and to improve the connection to LIMS system.

Arie2044

Since you had ChemStation for GC, I assume you have Agilent GCs. If that is the case, Millennium v4.0 and Empower will (I believe) control at least the 6890 and 6850GCs. This is through an agreement setup between Agilent and Waters, so is an "official" exchange of control codes (eliminates the grey area I mentioned before).

So it would seem that provided you're already on at least v4.0 of Millennium, you don't need the expense of buying, validating, training and maintaining a second CDS! If you're not on v4.0, you could consider upgrading to that version or Empower. That way you will still retain a common, familiar interface as well as reducing or eliminating the other factors.

BTW - We're an Agilent site, so I'm not trying to push Millennium
Tim

CDS Administrator

---------------------------------------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree w/ ^
Since you have a CDS, use it for the GCs too, just increase the sampling rates for GC.
Thanks,
DR
11 posts Page 1 of 1