Chemstation E.02.02

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am looking for Chemstation version E.02.02.

The laboratory is upgrading the Purge & Trap, which requires Windows 7. However, the GC & MSD are currently on E.02.00, which will not work with Windows 7. Agilent said that the instrument would need E.02.02 version.

Since Agilent doesn't sell this software anymore, I was hoping someone else has this version for sale or trade.

Thanks,
Katie
As of two years ago, they still had copies:
https://www.greatlakestechnical.com/

Is there an advantage to having the P&T communicate with the computer that is running Chemstation? The setup I'm familiar with just has the P&T send a "start" signal to the GC when it starts desorbing.
I assume the Purge & Trap control software requires Windows 7, but your Chemstation version isn't compatible.

We had a similar issue, although it was our thermal desorber software that wasn't compatible with Windows 10 and we had to upgrade the networked machine it was running on. We ended up running MassHunter on the upgraded Windows 10 machine and using an older, spare Windows 7 machine to control the desorber separately. Bit clunky having two computers controlling different parts of the same instrument, but it's been working well for a couple of years now and saves us from a >$10k software upgrade. So, you might want to look at using two separate computers if you can't find the software even if it isn't ideal.

E.02.02 is quite old and not officially compatible with Windows 10 (and Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft security updates), so it might be worth looking at some more modern software such as MassHunter if you're going to go down that route and have the budget for it.
wss wrote:
I assume the Purge & Trap control software requires Windows 7, but your Chemstation version isn't compatible.

We had a similar issue, although it was our thermal desorber software that wasn't compatible with Windows 10 and we had to upgrade the networked machine it was running on. We ended up running MassHunter on the upgraded Windows 10 machine and using an older, spare Windows 7 machine to control the desorber separately. Bit clunky having two computers controlling different parts of the same instrument, but it's been working well for a couple of years now and saves us from a >$10k software upgrade. So, you might want to look at using two separate computers if you can't find the software even if it isn't ideal.

E.02.02 is quite old and not officially compatible with Windows 10 (and Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft security updates), so it might be worth looking at some more modern software such as MassHunter if you're going to go down that route and have the budget for it.

Thanks wss, I didn't think about running 2 different computers. Yes, the P&T will require Win7, and current Chemstation only can use XP/Vista. These computers are not connected to the internet or a network, so the security shouldn't be a problem.
gurlwithgcms wrote:
wss wrote:

Thanks wss, I didn't think about running 2 different computers. Yes, the P&T will require Win7, and current Chemstation only can use XP/Vista. These computers are not connected to the internet or a network, so the security shouldn't be a problem.

Have you tried installing the e.02.00 on W7 yet? Often Agilent says it is not supported, not that it flat out won't work. We use E.02.01 on both W7 and W10, even though it is not listed as working by Agilent. If it can be used on Vista odds are it will work on W7 also. If I could have found my install disks for E.02.00 I would have tried it recently. It may not work as smoothly as on XP though. We have only found one problem using W10 with E.02.xx, the library search doesn't want to work. We have to pull the file across the network and do the library search on the newer instrument. The double right click on a spectra will search the library just fine, but it will not run the full detailed report on the whole chromatogram. Other than that, they seem to run ok on either W7 or W10.

One problem I had installing on W10 was I had to turn off the anti virus because it was quarantining some of the needed files. Also if you have an older 6890, E.02.02 may not work, we had to drop back to E.02.01 to get our oldest instrument which was originally an HPIB instrument that was upgraded to Ethernet to work. It would talk to the MS but once you went to save a method it would fail to communicate with the GC and lock up the software and never save any changes, but the .01 version would work.

Another thing to consider is that quant methods will not work on E.02.00 if they were made on E.02.01 or E.02.02, it just won't read the list of compounds, but E.02.00 will convert to the newer ones.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
gurlwithgcms wrote:
wss wrote:

Have you tried installing the e.02.00 on W7 yet? Often Agilent says it is not supported, not that it flat out won't work. We use E.02.01 on both W7 and W10, even though it is not listed as working by Agilent. If it can be used on Vista odds are it will work on W7 also. If I could have found my install disks for E.02.00 I would have tried it recently. It may not work as smoothly as on XP though. We have only found one problem using W10 with E.02.xx, the library search doesn't want to work. We have to pull the file across the network and do the library search on the newer instrument. The double right click on a spectra will search the library just fine, but it will not run the full detailed report on the whole chromatogram. Other than that, they seem to run ok on either W7 or W10.

One problem I had installing on W10 was I had to turn off the anti virus because it was quarantining some of the needed files. Also if you have an older 6890, E.02.02 may not work, we had to drop back to E.02.01 to get our oldest instrument which was originally an HPIB instrument that was upgraded to Ethernet to work. It would talk to the MS but once you went to save a method it would fail to communicate with the GC and lock up the software and never save any changes, but the .01 version would work.

Another thing to consider is that quant methods will not work on E.02.00 if they were made on E.02.01 or E.02.02, it just won't read the list of compounds, but E.02.00 will convert to the newer ones.

We do have E.02.02 running on a couple of Windows 10 machines, it definitely works although Agilent says it shouldn't... However, we have experienced a number of very weird bugs trying to get it to run on occasion (sometimes it runs without issue, which is strange since all of the Win10 lab machines are supposed to be more or less identically configured). These bugs were overcome with rather obscure config changes, e.g. changing the protocol to SICL LAN instead of the default.
James_Ball wrote:
gurlwithgcms wrote:
wss wrote:

Thanks James_Ball. I did try installing E.02.00 on Win 7, but it won't install. Then I found out it is not compatible with Win 7, but E.02.02 is, according to Agilent. I found some computers on ebay with E.02.02 loaded, but of course the state doesn't want to buy it, even though it won't be connected to the internet or network. smh. The installation person is coming in a few weeks, and he thinks the 2 computers might work.
wss wrote:
James_Ball wrote:
gurlwithgcms wrote:

We do have E.02.02 running on a couple of Windows 10 machines, it definitely works although Agilent says it shouldn't... However, we have experienced a number of very weird bugs trying to get it to run on occasion (sometimes it runs without issue, which is strange since all of the Win10 lab machines are supposed to be more or less identically configured). These bugs were overcome with rather obscure config changes, e.g. changing the protocol to SICL LAN instead of the default.

Yeah Win 7 seems to have less problems with everything than Win 10. The installation person thinks running 2 computers should work.
Hello

Write to me to the email Henry_lp04@hotmail.com, do you have the E.02.02 software?
9 posts Page 1 of 1