OpenLab EZChrom to Chromeleon transition

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
We have used OpenLab EZchrom from the early days, all the way back when it was run by Scientific Software. Now we are about to investigate if we should switch over to Chromeleon. Next week we install one system and will get a day or two training on this GC software platform.
Anybody else out there been through this transition, experiences ?
Other regular users of Chromeleon, whats your experience with this platform in general ?
Martin
mplassen wrote:
We have used OpenLab EZchrom from the early days, all the way back when it was run by Scientific Software. Now we are about to investigate if we should switch over to Chromeleon. Next week we install one system and will get a day or two training on this GC software platform.
Anybody else out there been through this transition, experiences ?
Other regular users of Chromeleon, whats your experience with this platform in general ?
Martin

While I was trained on Agilent software, a few of our instruments use Chromeleon (IC and two HPLCs). I very much prefer OpenLab. Chromeleon has quirks that annoy me. The biggest offender to me is that you must create a dummy method to have your pump kick off (LC and HPLC). It also uses a script editor and I get a lot of students coming to me because they get an error about no flow rate being specified, yet it is in their method, but not on that script editor. I'm happy to answer questions that my comment may have led you to have. If it didn't benefit you then I offer my apologies.
Every single CDS has its "annoying quirks".
Chromeleon has a very quick user acceptance when compared to other CDS that are perceived as being less user friendly. OpenLAB CDS may have a faster learning curve than Chromeleon for EZChrom users, depending on versioning and expertise.

If there are any particular requirements for data handling, unusual calculations or interfacing with other equipment (got an old SRI GC or other 'oddball' instrument you need support for?) and systems (off the shelf or in-house LIMS?), make sure that all of the necessary drivers, handles and features are a part of any CDS you're considering.

Also very important - TRAINING. How much is it, how is it delivered and is it well regarded?

Assuming this is an enterprise or client/server installation, is your IT department a part of this process? If not, they should be (unless you know whether your an Oracle or SQL shop, by default).
Thanks,
DR
3 posts Page 1 of 1