Yes, seriously.

In case anyone was wondering, I've successfully gotten Star Workstation (version 5.50) running on Windows 10, using a serial to usb converter. The default installer fails, but going into the CORE directory and running /that/ installer works fine and produces a functional install.

I initially had some problems with occasional disconnections that would cause a sequence/samplelist to quit running, that I /think/ I've chased back to the serial-to-usb connection - occasionally the root hub would power down, and I'd get a connection drop. It was fine in single inject mode, and now that I've changed EVERYTHING USB-related to never powersave ever, I think I've got it working. :) [Ask me again in another 12 hours of runtime, I guess...]

One gremlin: Star workstation seems to be confused by 120GB hard drives, and was insisting on reporting the drive full (and stopping analysis) when it got up to about 36GB. I've repartioned, and have two thoughts on a fix: 1) I could re-install on the other partition or 2) I could somehow tell star workstation that it's datafiles should all go on the other partition. Does anyone know how to do option 2, or am I stuck reinstalling? Surely there's a human-editable config file somewhere that I'm missing, or a button to change the default in the software? [I know how to use the "Datafiles" button on a given sample list to send data files to the other partition, but Star Workstation seems to be still checking the C: drive for space.]

Hope that helps someone. We've been happily running on Win 98 with local printers (since IT wouldn't let us connect to the network), but when the only printer that the Win 98 computer was willing to talk to died, it was time to get onto the network so that we could print!