varian saturn 2200 GC/MS/MS software

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
What is the current software that is 21 CFR part 11 compliant for a Varian Saturn 2200 GC/MS/MS ?
assuming Open lab compatible after agilent acquisition in 2010 ?
As far as I know, you need some version of Varian MS workstation.

In general, 3rd party software can control GCs, but not MSs. OpenLab does not operate any GC-MSs, and MassHunter(which does run GC-MSs) does not run any HPIB/GPIB instruments.

To my knowledge, your only real option is MS Workstation 6.x, which Agilent still lists as available

https://www.agilent.com/en/products/ms-workstation-6-x

6.9.3 is the newest version, but the release notes only mention the 2000 and not the 2200. It's not perfectly clear to me what the exact difference between the two instruments is.
Hi

Thanks for the information
I was under the impression that Open lab could control GC/MS (assuming 5977A and GC 7890 /7697 A )?
Assuming MS workstation 6. is 21 CFR part 11 compliant ?
Looks like OpenLab CDS CAN run a 5977, but I do not see support listed for any non-Agilent MSs. This is not uncommon-many chromatography data suites can run GCs and LCs from a variety of vendors, but can't necessarily run an MS. There again also, Agilent has basically written off support for anything HPIB/GPIB.

It would be worth a call to Agilent to ask about any compliance offered by MS Workstation 6.x. That's not something I ever need, so can't answer that. If it won't work, this may not be the right instrument for you to use. Varian was trying to keep their heads above water around the time 21 CFR Part 11 came out, and I don't actually recall seeing anything about it in the user manuals for 6.9.3(which I've read extensively).
4 posts Page 1 of 1