Ammonia determination using ion chromatography

Discussions about IC and related topics

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am wondering if there are any ion chromatography methods that would be capable to determine the total ammonia concentration in water samples.

Thank you for you help.
Unless there is something unusual about your water samples, there are many such methods (this was one of the first IC separations done a half-century ago). Do a Google search.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Annija wrote:
Hi, I am wondering if there are any ion chromatography methods that would be capable to determine the total ammonia concentration in water samples.

At 5% ? 0.5% ? 0.05 % ? 0.005 % ? Makes a huge difference. And is the matrix just water or an aqueous solution?

For example, we sold an ammonia cleaner with several percent, and ammonia was determined by titration.
Dear Annija

There are many application for the determination of ammonium by IC.
A [url]search[/url] in the Metrohm Application Finder returns 62 entries.
For low concentrations (< 50 µg/L) we recommend suppressed IC. Above non-suppressed IC works better.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
Hi Annija,

Please have a look at AN 141 and AU 204 as a start. You can search for more ammonium application notes using Thermo Scientific's AppsLab Library of Analytical Applications (free for use after registration). And if your matrix includes other cations, you can model the separation on various Dionex IonPac columns using Virtual Column Online to find optimal conditions for the best separation.
Best regards,

John Guajardo
Senior Product Manager
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately most ion chromatography methods are based on conductivity, however, for my research I can only use indirect UV detection which makes it more difficult. So far the only method that I have found on indirect UV detection is from Small et al. 1982 paper in which a Dowex 50 resin was used. However, I would be interested in a commercial column.
You could have saved a lot of time by giving that information at the outset :cry:
That said, go to the BioRad site / catalog and look for an Aminex HPX-87 column in the H+ form (organic acids analysis column). The HPX-87 resin is chemically the same as Dowex 50WX8. You can then adapt the mobile phase from the Small paper.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
7 posts Page 1 of 1