Dionex ICS-3000 Conductivity Detector clogged

Discussions about IC and related topics

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
We recently acquired a Dionex ICS-3000 and the Conductivity Detector (CD) is clogged as in no flow..I've tried flushing and backflushing using the pumps with water, IPA, Meoh, and no flow pressure builds to 3000psi and shuts off the pumps...tried manually both ways using a syringe no luck broke a plastic syringe and using a glass one at full strength no luck...squirted IPA in the lines and let sit overnight no luck...now trying to pump some ~40mM MSA (our Cations elurnt) in both lines to let sit overnight to see if that will dissolve anything...I called Thermo and they had zero suggestions other than backflush and that it was not serviceable and I should replace it...tried taking the back cover off and it really didn't look serviceable and the small front cover just exposes the front connections so no help there...if the MSA doesn't work we might pull it out and try stronger H2SO4/HCL etc to dissolve the clog...any suggestions?
Thanks!
Eric
I've had mixed luck unclogging detectors. I like using a peristaltic pump to try and flush as it can run for a long time (hours - days!) and I suppose there is a little agitation, though low pressure, trying to backflush the clog. I seem to recall someone recommended oxalic acid to clear blockages, but I tend to lean towards the same solvents/eluent acid that you did.

I would be hesitant to put in too strong of an acid as surely there are metal electrodes in the detector.

Do you have any idea what the clog may be? ie should a base or peroxide be used to clear it rather than acid?
2 posts Page 1 of 1