IC High Conductivity Troubleshoot

Discussions about IC and related topics

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Can anyone explain whats going on when my baseline conductivity is roughly 3 times what it's supposed to be?
I am questioning whether the suppressor might be malfunctioning. Would it be as simple as replacing it? Also is there any way to refurbish an IC suppressor?
Dear icperson

Please add a few more information like suppressor type, expected background conductivity, eluent composition etc.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
replace with fresh clean water, do not top off the bottle! clean bottle. remove column, monitor baseline conductivity with union only. If still high, replace suppressor (cannot be refurbished)
the suppressor is the heart of your system
Thanks for your replies.

I'm running a Dionex AERS 500 suppressor, with sodium carbonate as the mobile phase. The expected conductivity is approx. 9-12us and I'm getting closer to 25us.
Today I'll try removing the column. I've just taken over this instrument and I believe that in the past it's often been left for months without upkeep, is there a chance the column is full of salt and that's what's causing the problems?
4 posts Page 1 of 1