Stand alone suppressor advice

Discussions about IC and related topics

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, it has been some time since I have been in the world of HPLC >10 years and need some advice in regards to suppressors. In my distant past I have used an Alltech Suppressor in conjunction with HPLC and UV detection for the quantification of a variety of sulfur species. I am looking to do something similar. Can one still buy stand alone suppressors? I have done a quick internet search and they all seem to be turnkey parts in IC units. I am after a suppressor that is placed after the separation column to remove sodium ions. Thanks in advance. LionTamer.
Hallo LionTamer

Removing of sodium with a suppressor requires a so called Anion Suppressor (which is in fact a cation exchanger, but normally used in a ion chromatograph for anion analysis). Due to the fact that you are using such a suppressor in a HPLC system with UV detection i guess that you are also use organic solvents. So the regeneration of such a suppressor can be done very easy with sulphuric acid. Cations are the replaced with hydronium ion. You can work therefor with a classical membran based suppressor (e.g. ACRS-500 form Thermo/Dionex http://www.dionex.com/en-us/products/accessories/suppressors/crs-500/lp-73585.html and sulphuric acid as regenerent. The regeneration can by done simply by using a pressurized bottle or by using a controllable pump device. Such a configuration is completely stand alone and independent of any other modules.

Best regards and success!
Stefan Brand
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thankyou
3 posts Page 1 of 1