Leaving IC for a week, the peaks got separated

Discussions about IC and related topics

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, my lab was closed for almost one week for the Xmas and in the mean time, nobody touched the IC. Then today I tried to run something on the IC, peaks got broadening.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e98y4zlxp07eu ... M.jpg?dl=0

Then I tried the following:
Changing filters for both guard and main column/Using the 10 times concentration of eluent to flush the column/Using 1N HCl to flush the column.
Later on, it got even worse.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t00k0nqskry16 ... M.jpg?dl=0

Do you guys know what else should I do? Regenerating the suppressor? (Is that because the suppressor had been left unused for too long time?)

BTW, Im using:
AS-22 Fast 4X150 mm main column/AG-22 Fast 4X30 mm Guard column/AERS 500 4mm suppressor/Dionex ICS-1100.
You have shoulders in each peak, which implies, that either the column inlet, or somewhere in the injector there is some contamination which is blocking the flow path. I would remove the column and wash all tubings after disconnecting them. If the peaks are still broad, partially split like your,column start cleaning the column.
M. Farooq Wahab
mwahab@ualberta.ca
Hi there, thanks. I will try tomorrow morning.

M Farooq wrote:
You have shoulders in each peak, which implies, that either the column inlet, or somewhere in the injector there is some contamination which is blocking the flow path. I would remove the column and wash all tubings after disconnecting them. If the peaks are still broad, partially split like your,column start cleaning the column.
Hi Farooq, thanks again for your advise. I tried again, this time the splitting disappeared but peaks are broadening. Do you have any idea what should I use to clean the column? By the way, it's AS-22 Fast 4X150 mm column. Thank you.

M Farooq wrote:
Column cleaning procedures depend on the type of samples used on the columns. The IonPac AS-22 manual is very well detailed in the cleaning procedures (available online). A simple way to test whether column or system is causing trouble is to replace another column which is preferably new. If the other column works fine, it implies system still needs cleaning.
M. Farooq Wahab
mwahab@ualberta.ca
Hi Farooq, I've already did the cleaning according to the instruction. But the peaks are still broad (It got a little bit better). Perhaps I have to buy a new column now( This column is only two months old :( :( ). Thanks for your advise.

M Farooq wrote:
Column cleaning procedures depend on the type of samples used on the columns. The IonPac AS-22 manual is very well detailed in the cleaning procedures (available online). A simple way to test whether column or system is causing trouble is to replace another column which is preferably new. If the other column works fine, it implies system still needs cleaning.
6 posts Page 1 of 1