Used distilled water instead of deionized water

Discussions about IC and related topics

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Today Metrohm 930 compact IC Flux with conductivity detector was installed in our Laboratory and the technician accidentally used distilled water (Conductivity: 1.6 uS/cm) instead of deionized water as recommended in eluent, standard and regeneration solution preparation. The column was metrosep A 16-250/4.
Can this error damage the column and if yes is it revertible. Sorry for sounding like I have no idea as tomorrow will by my first day with the instrument :? .
Saad89 wrote:
Today Metrohm 930 compact IC Flux with conductivity detector was installed in our Laboratory and the technician accidentally used distilled water (Conductivity: 1.6 uS/cm) instead of deionized water as recommended in eluent, standard and regeneration solution preparation. The column was metrosep A 16-250/4.
Can this error damage the column and if yes is it revertible. Sorry for sounding like I have no idea as tomorrow will by my first day with the instrument :? .

Distilled water will not damage the column but it is not as chemically pure as deionized water. Run a standard test chromatogram which comes when you purchase the column as a quality control test. If everything is well, the retention times will match the one provided by the manufacturer. If they are significantly off, contact the technician.
M. Farooq Wahab
mwahab@ualberta.ca
Dear Saad89

M Farooq is absolutely right.
For further work I recommend to use ultrapure water (water purification system). Be aware the also bottled HPLC water is not recommended.

In case of any further question, do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
3 posts Page 1 of 1