Getting started with Ion Chromatography

Discussions about IC and related topics

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a SpectraPhysics P4000 HPLC system which I have been using with a C18 column and a UV/VIS detector. I would like to do some water analysis for anions. In looking at EPA method 300.0, I'm assuming if I get the appropriate column such as a Dionex AS4A or AS14 and a conductivity detector like the Dionex CD-20, I should be able to do this analysis. I'm hoping to do this with used equipment (except perhaps for the column). I understand the concepts of the separation and detection but I need some help with practical aspects with questions such as:

Recommendation on books, websites, etc to get info on the practical aspects of ion chromatography.

I'm understanding that I should have an ion suppressor with the detector - would the Dionex ASRS-300 be a good choice? Any other suppressors recommended?

Anything else I should be aware of as I look to get set up for anion chromatography?

Thanks for the advice.

Rick
A C18 column won't retain much in the way of Anions. Might want to try a polar stationary phase.
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in the original post I plan to get a column such as the Dionex AS4A that's designed for anion analysis - just looking for good sources of background information on the practical aspects of anion chromatography of water samples. Particularly interested in info on specific ion suppressors. Thanks
You may check with your Metrohm Representative to get the Monograph: "Practical Ion Chromatography", part number 8.972.5013.
This give you the basic of IC.

Best regards
Markus
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
Thanks Markus - that monograph is a great resource!

Rick
5 posts Page 1 of 1