IC dulutions

Discussions about IC and related topics

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I have a dilution question for IC.
I have ten Ions, separate 1000ppm standards. Trying to make one stock solution and percentages from that stock solution. A procedure calls for between 1,3 or 4 grams of standard up to 100mls of H2O. ( a total of 24 grams of the 1000 ppm standards) Would the concentration of each Ion be 1000*w (in grams)/100?
Example: 4 grams of Flouride 1000 ppm standard/100g = 4*1000/100= 40 PPM? The same for 1g or 3g?
The reason for the question is relating this to a 500 ppm standard for ICP. We dilute a premixed 21 element 500 ppm standard 10:1 to run on the ICP, but we still consider it 500 ppm instead of 50 ppm for calibration. Wouldn't it be the same for IC?
Thank you.
As long as you dilute samples and standards the same way (which is what I think you're doing with the ICP), it doesn't matter.

In the more general case, if you do a 100:4 dilution of a 1000 ppm standard, then what you are injecting is actually 40 ppm.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
2 posts Page 1 of 1