dionex, waters or metrohm

Discussions about IC and related topics

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi every body

We are going to buy our first IC system and we have two options: dionex and metrohm.
Also I found that waters have one. My first q is which system you recommend for us?
Mainly we are looking for anions like nitrate and nitrite (very important to identified), perchlorate, sulphate, sulphide.
And is it possible to detect cyanide by IC?
Dear che313

No doubt, Metrohm is best :D . (that was my marketing based answer)

Your primary ions: nitrite, nitrate, sulfate, and prechlorate may be analyzed on IC with conductivity detetction. For sulfide and cyanide you will need an amperometric detector in addition. The two ions are detected e.g., in the DC mode (constant potential) at a silver electrode.

Depending on your needs you may get different system configurations (from all vendors).
With Metrohm you could start with a 882 Compact IC plus with a conductivity and an amperometric detector (for sequential use of conductivity and amperometric detection).
The upper end would be the 850 Professional IC with dual channel setup with addition sample preparation modules. Here an independent and parallel usage of the both detectors is possible.

Check with your local Metrohm representative or send me an e-mail (lae@metrohm.com).
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
hhhhhhh

For sure you'll say Metrohm.
It is good by the way to catch you here, as ur local distributer escaped from me.
In this regard, I would like to know how much I'm saving for not asking for cations part?
Where I can get an applications for forensic samples like blood or urine?
What about UV detector? Is it possible to have it with conductivity and amperometric?
Dear che313

Who is your local distributor (means where are you from?). I will make sure that you will regain contact with him.

Sorry, you will gain nothing by not asking for cations. :cry:
Cation determination is possible on our ICs without any problem. We are running any type of cations, amines or transition metals with conductivity detetction.
So if you tell me your application request, I might find a respective application example.

We did some applications in serum and plasma already. And depending on request we may run blood samples in one of our application labs. Do not hesitate to ask.

Our IC system components includ conductivity, amperometric (DC, PAD, FlexIPAD, CV) as well as UV/VIS detectors. And combinations are possible of course.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
We are in Bahrain.
We met with your agent before but when we asked for applications for forensic we got no replay.

Our applications are varies: it could be home made explosives (nitrate& perchlorate), fake drugs (sulphate), cyanide poisons in blood or serum, etc.

What I mean by not asking for cations that already we have ICP, so no need to ad a column for cations and whatever is required. How much in this case am going to save?

Best Regards,
Dear che313

We actually have an Application Note on anions incl. nitrate and perchlorate in an explosives extract (AN-S-147).
Cyanide is mainly analyzed by amperometric detection. Here we did quite some applications but not yet in blood or serum.
Check again with you local representative or with the regional support center in Sharjah (info@metrohm.ae).
Dr. Markus Laeubli
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
Dear Che313,
We appreciate your feedback on our distributor and thanks for your queries about Forensic Analysis.
Kindly do send me your contact information @Bahrain to provide you with more details.
Additionally, we can also plan for a presentation at your lab at the earliest and we can discuss on the Metrohm systems/ applications of IC in forensic, etc.
Please mail me at vish@metrohm.ae or info@metrohm.ae
Best regards,
Vish
Viswanath.V
Sales Manager
Metrohm Middle East FZC
Sharjah, UAE
Dear Che313,

We have installed several Metrohm IC systems in India in various State and Central Forensic Sciences Labs. These labs are analysing explosives, vicera and other forensic samples. If you can give me your contact details, i can email you the relevant publication details for your kind reference.

Regards

Deepak
I could also recommend Metrohm especially if doing suppressed mode IC. We have one of the older 761 models and it is still going strong after 9 years. We just do the cleaning procedure on the suppressor about once a year and all is good, very simple procedure. We are on the original suppressor on all of our three units, the two new ones being the 881 models. We analyze between 50-100 samples per day on each, consisting of waste waters, drinking waters, soils, and whatever else clients send in including battery acid and even ethanol.

Mostly we are looking at Nitrate, Nitrite, Sulfate, Chloride, Fluoride and Phosphate, along with some samples for Chlorite, Chlorate, Bromate, Bromide and one unit is equipped to do low level Cr+6.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Dear James

I like and highly appreciate your comment.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
Don't have much experience with the Methrohm systems. I have been working with 4 different Dionex systems and I am very satisfied with everything about them. Maybe I would prefer the anion suppressors not to be so sensitive. But that's about all I have to say about those systems. They are very stable, reliable and the software is also great.
Only thing I'd add--please do not discount Shimadzu--they also make an Ion Chromatograph. SeQuant makes a nice off-line suppressor that works in conjunction with a Prominence LC pump, column heater and and autosampler. Shimadzu also makes a conductivity detector, though you'd have to purchase an Antec Leyden Electrochemical Detector if you'd want to do cyanide work. Measuring cyanide is kind of cool to me--I've done that before.

I've used Dionex, Metrohm and Shimadzu hardware. All can work well with proper care and maintenance. I've seen Waters ICs at a prior job, but have not tried one of them out. Didn't know Waters was still putting out the occasional IC, but that's good to hear, too.

Probably by now you've already acquired your new instrument--so best of luck, with whatever hardware won out!

Matt
MattM
I appreciate that metrohom are present in the forum with good support, this give credability. We went with waters because we only do the occasional ic analysis. Waters are good with lc and ms but if i would mainly do ic i think i would go with methrom they seem to have the best support for this application. Waters is a good general purpose system with best flexability for different applications, ic is a small niche product for them. I am no expert but that was our take. We can use the waters lc system for many applications and detectors and this is nice for us. If you use very corrosive eluents i think you need dedicated ic system without steel and peek . Waters vs shimadzu i guess is similar performance so price and compatability with existing hardware software like will determine.

Dedicated ic is metrhom or dionex, general pupose system is waters and shimadzu. Edit: Shimadzu appears to have released new ic system this spring. We did the tender last year.
13 posts Page 1 of 1