Dionex ASM-2 Relay Control Pins

Discussions about IC and related topics

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but I'm having an issue that I hope someone will have experience with.

We have a Dionex ASM-2 autosampler, and I am trying to connect it with a Dionex ICS-90. From my understanding, the only connections required for are the GROUND and LOAD pins.

We do not have a manual for the instrument, and Dionex has been less than helpful in providing this information.

Does anyone know the order of the pins in the Relay Out connector? There are 6 pins, and I believe (from my browsing of the AS-40 autosampler manual) there should be a ground, LOAD, READY OUT, CBL PRESENT, +5VDC and F2.

Thank you for reading this, and any help you can provide.
Hello,

I have the very same problem. Did you find a solution in the meanwhile?

thanks for helping
If these are the same as the AS40, you need to jump the cable present contacts and then use a contact closure/relay to fire the autosampler. One is ground, one is load. If you post a link to the back panel, I'll compare with the AS40. The AS40 is configured with 10 connection points that are setup in pairs. Jump the two contacts in 4 (so positions 7+8) and then use your contact closure in 3 (positions 5+6). An easy way to test is to load a sample and then just touch the wires attached to 5+6 together and see if the autosampler engages. Don't forget about jumping 7+8. That's the most overlooked centimeter of wire in my lab.
Let me know how it goes.
Thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunately I need indication from someone that has the ASM-2.
AS40 is very similar but for the connections. the plug is different and has 6 cables instead of ten. of course functions must be the same, but placed differently. We have a newer AS40 in hause and comparison doesn't help. What i would need most is scanning of the connection pages from some old manual of ASM-2 .
Hi gschiavon,

While I do not have access to an ASM-2 to try this firsthand, I did find a copy of the manual (from 1992 :!: ) and my interpretation is as follows:

Pin 2 (black) is LOAD
Pin 6 (brown) is Ground

In addition, Pin 5 (yellow) must be grounded or the sampler will ignore commands received through the relay cable.

Please contact me (john.guajardo@thermofisher.com) and I will send you an electronic copy of the operators manual.
Best regards,

John Guajardo
Senior Product Manager
Thermo Fisher Scientific
OK IT WORKS!

To identify the ground cable (pin 6) if you have a not original cord and different color coding, i suggest the following:
the ground cable (6) can be easily identified because it is the only one that has a voltage, if you try it with a tester.
in any case it is the one on the left side looking at the plug.

Thanks again to John Guajardo for his help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1