turbo pump vs diffusion pump

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I have an Agilent 5973N MSD and am new to GC/MS. How can I tell if it is fitted with a turbo pump or diffusion pump?

If you can't hear the high pitched whine and can't get behind the MS to see, press the menu button on the front panel of the mass spec 3 times. It should say MS parameters, press the item button and the turbo pump speed will be displayed if there is one. If you have a diff pump turbo speed will not appear as a selection.
Just take off the bottom cover (3 screws on the side). If it is a diff pump below the fan should be a window so you can see the sight glass on the diff pump for oil level. Otherwise it is a turbo.
Thank you all for advising me on how to tell if I have a Diffusion versus Turbo pump!

I opened the bottom cover and found the oil level window.

This is what happens when a person is teaching themselves how to refurb and run a GC/MS. :/
Sallybeetle wrote:
Thank you all for advising me on how to tell if I have a Diffusion versus Turbo pump!

I opened the bottom cover and found the oil level window.

This is what happens when a person is teaching themselves how to refurb and run a GC/MS. :/

At least you have the initiative to teach yourself such things, that is very good indeed :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1