Change Varian 220-MS to a FID detector on a Varian 431-GC ?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,
I have a Varian 431-GC attached to a Varian 220-MS detector (ionic trap). The MS is very unstable and we had to fix significant issues thus far with this instrument.

So, I am now considering changing the MS-trap to a FID detector. However, I don't know if this is feasible and how it works regarding hardware and software, among others. Here are my main questions:

- Did anybody tried this on a Varian GC-MS ?
- Is there a software issue in doing this (I have the software that came with the instrument) ?
- Is there a FID model that you would recommend?

Thank you so much for your help! :)
Hi,
You should have no problems fitting the FID to the Varian GC; if you have the original software then the GC should detect this change upon power up.

SCION Instruments (rebranded Varian) offer FID detectors. You will be able to get further information needed from their sales team also; i have included their website below.

https://scioninstruments.com/contact/

Hope this helps!
2 posts Page 1 of 1