GC-MS/TOF determination of Triglycerides

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everybody, does anybody have a experiance with determination of triglycerides using GC-MS/TOF? I tried also with programmed temperature injector (PTV) but without elution. I work at 380 °C to be sure that triglycerides should be evaporated, but no results. Also splitless injection i have tried, no result. I use helium as a carrier gas and rxi-5ht column?
Any idea?
sanlub wrote:
Hello everybody, does anybody have a experiance with determination of triglycerides using GC-MS/TOF?

I've analyzed triglycerides using GC-FID and GC-MSD, and put their spectra onto our own GCMS library. I used a steel capillary column designed for high temperature stuff only from Restek. Call their tech people.

I'm retired now, can't remember all the details. But occasionally we did look at intact triglycerides that had been added to consumer products, cocoa butter products, etc.
Hi Lubomir

I notice that you have posted the same query on Researchgate

https://www.researchgate.net/post/GC-MS ... glycerides

Have any of the replies been helpful?.

Perhaps some more background to the analysis, the sample, the aim and why you have chosen MS TOF and not transesterification as an approach would be helpful.
Regards

Ralph
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
sanlub wrote:
Hello everybody, does anybody have a experiance with determination of triglycerides using GC-MS/TOF?

I've analyzed triglycerides using GC-FID and GC-MSD, and put their spectra onto our own GCMS library. I used a steel capillary column designed for high temperature stuff only from Restek. Call their tech people.

I'm retired now, can't remember all the details. But occasionally we did look at intact triglycerides that had been added to consumer products, cocoa butter products, etc.

I do not have a problem with determination of TG on GC-FID, only on GC-TOF.
GOM wrote:
Hi Lubomir

I notice that you have posted the same query on Researchgate

https://www.researchgate.net/post/GC-MS ... glycerides

Have any of the replies been helpful?.

Perhaps some more background to the analysis, the sample, the aim and why you have chosen MS TOF and not transesterification as an approach would be helpful.

Not yet, I have chosen GC-TOF because I have it in lab. I do not have problem on GC-FID, only in this case. Transesterification is not solution for me, because i would like check efficiency of transesterification on GC-TOF, so i need determine TG.
Hi Lubomir and everyone who is interested in GC-MS analysis of triglycerides

You can read about this analysis at the advanced GC-MS blog journal of Aviv Analytical
http://blog.avivanalytical.com/2016/11/ ... -5975.html
This article gives the analysis conditions which requires shorter column and high column flow rate
In addition, the use of Cold EI is a must if one wishes to obtain molecular ions. The amount of information exhibited is far greater than via FAMEs analysis
I will be happy to analyze triglycerides with our GC-MS with Cold EI and whoever wishes to get further information please write me
at amirav@tau.ac.il
6 posts Page 1 of 1