Octane on GC-IRMS with DB5 Column?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
I am trying to analyze octane by GCIRMS but instead of one octane peak I am getting several small peaks. I have tried adjusting the inlet temperature ranging from 250 to 150 and my current temperature program is 40C increased to 100C at 4C/min. Does anyone have any successful octane methods?
Just pure octane? Octane in something else? Seems odd. Octane (pure solvent) should be like a model system.

Can you inject any other pure solvent and see a single peak? What are your scan parameters in the MS part of your method? Make sure you're at least scanning up from 50. I mostly do volatiles by SPME in a high-ethanol matrix (MW = 46 g/mole) so I generally go 50-350 when I'm operating in scanning mode. You can go wider or more narrow depending on your application.
2 posts Page 1 of 1