Varian Saturn 2100T - open filament

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hallo chromatographers!

Thank you in advance for your help, it will be most appreciated. I'm not an expert in GC-MS but I'm suppose to make the instrument work and I have few resources in terms of manuals.

We have a GC-MS Saturn 2100T. Lately we are having a problem with filaments. The instrument burnt three filaments in less than six months and it seems a lot, given that it doesn't perform a huge amount of analysis (6/8 hours per week).

At present we are using rigenerated filaments. Given what I read in other topics, this may be a problem. However I'd like to be sure the issue isn't with some setting of sorts.

What can cause this premature filament burning? What setting can I check?

Thank you!
Do you use solvent delay or you read the solvent peak for every sample? Water level is normal or higher than usual?
Davide Balbo from Italy
Water level is normal, as usual, and diagnostic gives it as ok.
The acquisition methods don't always have solvent delay. May that be the problem?
KeepCalm wrote:
Water level is normal, as usual, and diagnostic gives it as ok.
The acquisition methods don't always have solvent delay. May that be the problem?

Yes, that is the main cause of broken filament.
Davide Balbo from Italy
Thank you for your answer.
I'll try with solvent delay on every acquisition method and see how it goes with the next set of filaments.
5 posts Page 1 of 1