I mentioned this in another thread, but thought this deserved its own post for easy reference for anyone still running these old instruments.

Not too long ago, I put a 5972 electronics module in a 5971 chassis along with upgrading the software to G1701BA(that route wasn't too much more expensive than sourcing a SmartCard II). Aside from being newer, the big difference in the 5972 eMod is that it will allow you to vary the emission current. The two use the same topboard/source/analyzer so it's essentially a plug and play operation.

I had it running well with the 5971/5972 straight wire filaments, but I was also clued into another somewhat experiment upgrade. I was told that the 5973/75 filaments, which have a reflector and use a "curly" wire would also fit.

Sure enough, the I installed two(I keep a bunch on hand since I also run a 5975) and the alignment was perfect.

A day after pumping down, the results are impressive to say the least. I needed to manually tune it to get it in the ballpark with the new filaments, but after running autotune initially at 25µA filament current, I'm getting roughly equal absolute counts for my tune peaks with the EM set 100V lower. Upping the current to 35µA(the fixed value for the 5971) is actually somewhat detrimental to the performance, with lower absolute counts for the same EM voltage!

In any case, if you're running one of these, I highly recommend fitting the newer style filaments. I think you will be happy with the results.