Timeout error

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
I'm using a HP 5890gc/5971ms with chemstation and get an error after I click start run.
Run Error: -302,"(:RUN:RDY ON;): Timeout Waiting 1286000 usec for DP to process 1 scan(s).",-302,"(RUN:RDY ON;): Error Executing

Any idea what's going on?
Looks as if the instrument is entering the ready state then waiting approximately 20minutes for a start signal that never arrives.

What is your setup? Are you using an autosampler or other sample introduction device? If no autosampler do you press "RUN" at the time of injection?

Also you have to have the Remote cable connected from the back of the MS to a connector on the top of the right side of the GC, usually to a small rectangular connector mounted under the cover on the top right side above and behind the display. If that cable is not connected the MS will not receive the start signal and give a timeout error.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
No autosampler. I manually inject. I click start run on desk top then press run after injection.

The remote cable is attached although quite loose. There is a signal 1 cable that is going to nothing. 3pin side is discounted.
ShakeandBake wrote:
No autosampler. I manually inject. I click start run on desk top then press run after injection.

The remote cable is attached although quite loose. There is a signal 1 cable that is going to nothing. 3pin side is discounted.

If the remote cable is working, it should cause the timer on the data acquisition to start once you press "Run" on the GC. The remote cable sends the start signal to the MS when the GC run begins. If you timer on the screen does not start, then the MS is not getting the start run signal through the remote cable.

Also check the method and see what the "solvent delay" is set to in the MS parameters window. If it is set longer than the GC run time, you will also get a similar error because the run ends before the MS begins to acquire data.
Hmmm. After I push the run button on the gc it doesn't do anything. I'll check the settings next. The loose wire sorta worries me too.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr8ep7b136d2cja/20170626_093559.jpg?dl=0
The remote cable plugs into the 4way connector situated at the rear edge of the instrument if I remember correctly. The one plugged into the front connector if it is the same one hanging over the vacuum gauge looks like a two wire connector that I have seen before but I am not sure what it was connected to, maybe something like a chart recorder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Agilent-HP-5 ... 1847972949

This is the one you need, it connects from the APG remote on the 5971 to the 4way connector on the 5890. The 4way is there in case you also need to daisy chain over to an autosampler controller or other device.
The remote start cable plugs into the MS in a 9-pin connector on the back of the MS and into the remote start connector that you show on your GC. You have a splitter on the GC; that is good since it means that you were at some point set up for an autosampler. I agree with James - you probably have a faulty or loose cable. The place we see the biggest issues on our 5972s (same as the 71s) is at the back of the MS.

Check your configuration file and make sure you don't have the system configured with an autosampler; if you do the GC will wait to receive a remote start signal that never comes.

When we check our systems we always configure a manual method with no start delay; that way all you have to do is push the Start button on the GC and you can see immediately if the method starts the EM on the MS (you'll get a voltage reading).
Mark Krause
Laboratory Director
Krause Analytical
Austin, TX USA
Do you still getting timeout error
O ya. I'm dragging my feet. I was bidding on eBay but today I'll just check the remote start cable with a multimeter.
9 posts Page 1 of 1