Communication issue with Varian 1200 Quadrupole MS/MS

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

22 posts Page 2 of 2
Glad i could help you with the power supply

next prob:
Did you check the lenses ? did you clean the source before you did the electronic check ? after a while the pins to connect the lenses get loose and cause problems like that. If the detectors come close to 2000 they might work weird. maybe you have a replacement one to check.

I didnt read the whole post but most of the time the varian maschines have easier problem than the people think.
Sometimes i just remove everything (Quads and source) clean it and put it back together and it works again.

When it comes to problems with the boards is a pain to check every voltage.
ruben.reif wrote:
Hi!

Thanks a lot for your answer. Indeed, it was the power supply, but we managed to re-adjust the voltage in the power board, and the communication was restored. Anyway, a new issue has appeared, since now we're not able to carry out a succesful auto-tune...The instrument passess the coarse tune with no apparent problems! Does anyone have experienced similuar issues with the autotuning? We need some clues, please!

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

I encountered the same problem with the power supply. Actually, i have 4.48V when i measure the voltage between TP2 and TP27.
How did you re-ajdust the voltage in the power board?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Rubio.
Hi Ruben,
Can you tell me please were TP2 and TP27 are? I have similar communication problems with the Varian 1200 Quadrupole MS/MS. Can you contact me please isotop1@gmx.de?

Best regards iso1

ruben.reif wrote:
Hi!

Thanks a lot for your reply. Well, this is my first experience with thsi instrument, but it has been working for a while, and giving a lot of trouble in my lab...

I get some feedback from a really good technician working for Agilent in Spain. Thanks to his indications, now we know that the problem is not in the mother board or related to any connection. Apparently, we have this issue in the power supply...We measured the volts between two specific test points (TP 2 and TP 27, on communication side). It should be 5 V (or a close value), but the real one is 4.55 V... Values below 4.65 indicates a problem in the power supply. Now that we know this, we're just wondering if we should buy a new one, or if this can be fixed, maybe withe the help of an electrician used to work with this type of boards.

Again, thanks for your answer!
Sorry to re-activate an old thread, however, it was the closest I found to my current problem. I am new to the forum and a little less new to chromatography, so bear with me please.
In my group we are trying to reactivate an old Varian 1200 MS based LCMS. But the old computer is nowhere to be found so I need to buy all necessary parts. For that purpose I've been trying to find a reference or part number for compatible PCI boards to put in a computer. Any chance anyone knows what boards I can get for this?
Any additional info you might need I'll do my best to provide. Very thankful for any help you can provide.
When we open back up and I get back in the lab, I'll grab the P/N off the board running my 300MS. It's a DB-9 type connector, but I'm pretty sure a proprietary board.

It showed in system profiler as having a "bear" type name. I think it could have been a "Bear" brand "Grizzly" model card or perhaps the inverse of that, but it's along those lines.
That would be very nice of you and thank you for the fast reply!
EBAY Have 1200 MS CUB boards. That could be your bear reference?
22 posts Page 2 of 2