MS vaccum problems

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
GCMS is Agilent 6890 GC with Agilent 5973 MS
Ms did ot autotune: error message: Ms is vented, vacuum pump is off. Does that mean turbo pump is dead.
Turn MS power off then back on. If the foreline pump starts up and you don't hear the whine of the turbopump start before the MS error comes up, it's possible. If the turbopump makes a noise like marbles in a blender, it's dead. Otherwise we need more information to judge.
If it makes a death rattle, shut it down fast. It will save someone time on cleaning up all the pieces.
Any update? Are you getting a fan error?
Check your calibrant vial. I once had one so loose that when it opened the calibrant valve air came rushing in and it shut it off to prevent damage. loosen the collar, push the valve in as far as it goes, back off ~1mm, tighten the collar, purge the valve, then try autotune.
I checked Ms parameters , the turbo pump speed is 1.9% only
The error message on autotune is " vaccum pump is off, the MS is vented"
Has the problem solved? Our Agilent 7000 series MS is displaying Turbo Speed at 1.9%. Roughing pump stopping after the turbo is not getting ON. We are not sure whether it is the pump or the controller
I think the key will be figuring out why your roughing pump stopped. It should be able to run even with the turbo off.

If the analyzer chamber isn't sealed and the pump is essentially sucking atmosphere and making no progress, it will give up even if there's nothing wrong with it. Someone above posted about the calibrant vial. You'll also want to make sure the door is properly closed, and the pressure relief knob is as well. Actually, you can open that knob a little while the foreline pump is running - if you don't hear a "hiss" then the door probably isn't shut right.

My roughing pumps come with a metal disk with an o-ring that fits over the inlet flange and can be used to cap it off. You remove the hose from the pump, and replace it with the metal cap. Run the pump for 30 seconds, then wait 10-15 mins. At that point the cap should still be suctioned on so that when you remove it you get a nice 'pop." If not, your pump has a problem.
7 posts Page 1 of 1