Software/Instrument Communication Problems

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am working with a 5890/5970 GC/MS system. This is running on an older computer using Windows95. I know the HP-IB card (HP 82341) is good because there was one try where the software recognized the GC, sampler and injector-I suppose the card could have given out after that one shining moment, but I am hoping not. We had removed the MS from the config. When we added the MS back in we were back to square one (the computer not communicating with any of the instruments). The HP-IB addresses seem to be fine (8 for the sampler, 15 for the GC and 20 for the MS). We changed the dip switches on the MS from 1,2,4 (I think is what they were originally) to 1,2,5. There are other HP-IB's to configure such as 82345 and 82340. We have tried removing them and configuring them again to see which works. Any suggestions? Thank you all for any help.
Check all of your HP-IB connections - they are very touchy. Try not to triple up on the connections if possible. If in doubt, replace the HP-IB cables - they do go bad. Make sure you carefully re-seat the interface card in the computer.

I would try to make a connection with one system at a time. I'd start with the MS - set the config file so that you have the MS active and the GC and autosampler set to "Other". Remember to re-boot when you change the config file. Connect only the MS cable to the computer. Assuming that you have a good PC card and HP-IB cable you should be able to initialize communication. Remember to turn off power to the electronics when you're connecting the HP-IB cables - there is low power there! Connect everyone, turn on the electronics in the MS section, and then boot into Chemstation. You should be able to watch it trying to communicate.

Assuming that it can communicate, add in the GC next, and the autosampler last (my experience is that the majority of the comm errors are autosampler related).
Mark Krause
Laboratory Director
Krause Analytical
Austin, TX USA
I tried what you suggested and the MS came up but the GC would not. I am wondering if it is now a driver issue as we have removed and reconfigured the drivers. Do you know anywhere online where I could download the HP-IB 82341D driver?
3 posts Page 1 of 1