transfer line from GC column to MS

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

18 posts Page 2 of 2
MSCHemist, it sounds like we have something similar to you in terms of this quick swap/backflush set up. Is yours an Agilent system?
A couple of years ago a service engineer from Agilent came by and told us that with experience they had found that having 4 psi He on the line isn’t the way to go. I think they had said 4 psi as a standard when setting up these quick swap fittings initially.
If this is relevant, you could contact Agilent or contact me directly and I will try to remember all the technicalities as to why. We made the changes they proposed and things more reliable

Kevin.
soccerdad007 wrote:
MSCHemist, it sounds like we have something similar to you in terms of this quick swap/backflush set up. Is yours an Agilent system?
A couple of years ago a service engineer from Agilent came by and told us that with experience they had found that having 4 psi He on the line isn’t the way to go. I think they had said 4 psi as a standard when setting up these quick swap fittings initially.
If this is relevant, you could contact Agilent or contact me directly and I will try to remember all the technicalities as to why. We made the changes they proposed and things more reliable

Kevin.

That is what is in the Agilent Quickswap manual and I have tested it and it works. I tried unhooking the column while having manual tune open looking at m/z 28, 32, and 18 and found no air coming in.

Also I keep the transferline at 280degC
at 4psi, 0.1mm ID 0.17m length that translates to 1.3 ml/min flow into the MSD. That is optimal when the column flow is 0.9-1.2ml/min
MSCHemist wrote:
soccerdad007 wrote:

Kevin.

That is what is in the Agilent Quickswap manual and I have tested it and it works. I tried unhooking the column while having manual tune open looking at m/z 28, 32, and 18 and found no air coming in.

Also I keep the transferline at 280degC
at 4psi, 0.1mm ID 0.17m length that translates to 1.3 ml/min flow into the MSD. That is optimal when the column flow is 0.9-1.2ml/min

Thanks!
18 posts Page 2 of 2