Cannot find the transition in GC/QQQ at a known Ret.time

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if someone has experienced the same problem I have working in MS/MS (product ions mode) using GC/QQQ. I am working with an Agilent GC 7890A/MS triple Quad 7000A, with the collision cell at 45 eV mode to get the product ions of a selected parent ion (m/z 173 of a BSTFA derivatized compound). I can perfectly see the m/z 173, but when I work in MS/MS mode, the peak in the chromatogram corresponding to the transition 173 -> ** disappears at the retention time where I see the peak in MS mode (thus, I cannot click on it to obtain the product ions spectra). I am using Mass Hunter version 10.

I know it is not a problem with the equipment because I can see the peak in the chromatogram corresponding to other transitions, and I can indeed see peaks of the transition 173 -> ** at other retention times. There is noise in the baseline, so the MS is physically working at that retention time.

I thought that maybe the collision energy is not enough, and I increased it to 60 eV (the maximum), but I still cannot see the transition. If I cannot see it at 60 eV, I assume that increasing the pressure of the collision gas won't help. I have never had this problem so far and I am not sure what else I can do.

Has someone experienced the same problem? Any tip would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Joana Pico
Possibly try a lower collision energy. The fragment may be to fragile to remain even at 45eV
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
alternatively, take the data file and process on an independent PC/MH setup.
Over the years, I have noted MassHunter can be problematic esp. with GCMS
3 posts Page 1 of 1