di-sec-butyl ether chromatogram is 2 peaks?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I get some spill sites that have hits for di-sec-Butyl Ether in two well separated peaks. When I look at the structure it does seem like it could be meso achiral symmetry. But rotation could also make it chiral as a diasteromer? Its been to many decades since I learned about optically active compounds (since 1981) But would di-sec-butyl ether having chiral centers make it elute as two peaks? When I look it up I see that its available as an HQ stabilized (DL- and meso- mixture).
With a standard (non-chiral) GC column, I would expect 2 peaks. The meso forms and the non-meso diastereomeric forms would make the 2 peaks.
Thank you for the reply. I'm curious why it is found at an old fuel station. Is this something used as a starter fluid for diesel trucks? It does not seem to be on any toxicity lists that I can find.
3 posts Page 1 of 1