Trace GC - Polaris Q

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
I’m trying to use an old GC-MS system, which was received from a decommissioned lab belonging to our institution. It is Thermo Finnigan Trace GC coupled with Polaris Q. It was shut down for really many years (at least since 2009).
This system has been turned on twice, the first on 2021, but soon a software failure occurred. Finally, it has been turned on by a ThermoFisher engineer again on December, 2022. He put a new filament and cleaned the source. The system passed all diagnostic tests and also a tune, but the sensitivity was very low and the EMV voltage was set at 1800. Moreover, a fault in the damping gas flow control was found and the damping gas was excluded.
Recently I changed the column and something went wrong, because the tune procedure can not be performed and the spectrometer seems “blind”. Only the air/water test shows a peak at 18/19. The foreline pressure is ok (40 mTorr). I fear there is a failure in the multiplier.
I am asking for your advice. What should I do to locate the problem? Moreover, I wonder if it’s worth trying to restore such an old system.
Many thanks
Hi, Can you try to look the PTFE. If it's OK, can you try the check leak.
2 posts Page 1 of 1